|| 12 ||

9th Dec 1998

So deep was she lost in thoughts, that Naina noticed neither Sameer following her, nor Radhika throttling his attempt to confront her.

Back in her room, she kicked the sandals off her feet and then listlessly collapsed on the bed. She was too stunned to react. The reality seemed far too unreal. We are here again. Together. How is this happening? Will I wake up tomorrow and realise it was just a dream after all?

She shuddered at the thought of all this being just another mirage.

But she knew it was all real. Cause as much as she had fantasised about meeting him again, hundreds of other people had never featured in those fantasies!

The names he had mentioned in passing then, they had faces now. Rohan and Deepika both seemed sweet. Well, everything related to him seemed sweet to you even then! a tiny voice taunted.

Naina, what are you doing?! You are planning to help his family find bargains now?? Her instinct for self-preservation continued to fight a losing battle. Her heart wailed growing heavier by the second, He remembers the bargains I helped him snag, but he has no idea of the price I ended up paying.

* * *

20th May 1994

Naina woke up to the aroma of cloves and henna, and to little prickly bits of the dried henna in her bed. She had covered the bed with her saree the night before. The idea of spoiling any of the pristine white sheets with henna, was too scary! She let out a breath of relief on confirming the whiteness had persevered.

She tried scrubbing the remaining bits off, avoiding water, as this would allow the henna to keep growing darker throughout the day. But eventually gave up, on encountering too many challenges!

Once ready for the day, grabbing herself a cup of tea and some buttered toast, she settled on a small garden table. The early mornings and late evenings being the only pleasant times of the day in that season, she decided to make the most of it.

Nanaji and Sameer had their breakfast in the formal breakfast room, chatting about Sameer's plans for the future.

The elder man remarked sounding a little melancholy "When you were small, I always thought that may be some day you might choose to come back here and take over my business." Noting apprehension flicker across Sameer's face, he rushed "I don't mean to pressure you in any way! I understand, every young man should find and make his own way. And it makes me proud to see that you are doing so well for yourself!" Briefly pausing, he went on "It's just that, now, all this work feels futile. To some extent anyways... I don't know what will become of all this after me. Who will look after this business? Will it survive or will it crumble?"

Sameer objected "Nanu, why are you thinking this way? You are fit and fine! You will look after this for a long time. But you should start grooming some deserving employees to take on more responsibility now. Take some time out for yourself. Travel and relax a bit more."

Nanaji shook his head looking preoccupied "Beta, the day I stop working, I fear I will lose my purpose in life. I am afraid these old bones will rest only when I leave this world." Sameer just pressed his hand warmly for a moment and smiled "Nanu, you are worrying unnecessarily. Please enjoy this little break!"

By the time both the men headed out, Naina was leaning against the car. Taking in Sameer's beige cotton trousers and the navy-blue half sleeved shirt, her insides did a little happy dance, I am in blue too! She was wearing a sky-blue Lucknow shalwar-kameez, which was many shades lighter than his, but it was enough for her childish heart to rejoice.