|| 25 ||

15th December 1998

A little after half-past-six in the morning, a young intern entered the room to check up on Naina. But then uncertainly stood at the entrance, seeing that there were two instead of the one expected occupant in the patient's bed. Finding a family member in a patient's room wasn't unexpected but finding an adult man in a female patient's bed holding her so intimately was rather unusual!

He tentatively nudged Naina awake "Ma'am, I have to check your temperature, blood pressure and couple of other things. The senior doctor will come by for his rounds in about an hour-and-half or so." Sameer sat up too, blinking around uncomprehendingly for a few moments.

The intern smiled at him "I am Dr Umesh." Without waiting for any response, he continued "She was still a little disoriented when I stopped by last night. But she is already looking better than yesterday!" After pointing a light at her eyes, he nodded approvingly "Her reflexes are also so much better."

Then casting a gaze at Sameer's attire, and noticing the blazer and tie discarded on the chair, Dr Umesh remarked agreeably as he made some notes on her chart "Looks like you had to rush from somewhere after hearing about your wife's accident. You must have been terribly worried about her!"

"We are not married." Naina muttered timidly in response. A shadow of confusion flashed in the doctor's eyes, before his demeanour changed, and he tersely remarked "You will be taken down for the x-ray in sometime. But based on my check-up, I don't think there is anything severely wrong with your shoulder."

As the doctor left, Sameer mumbled crossly "Whether we are married or not... what's his problem??" Naina sighed "That's how things are here Sameer." She added "Pass me some water please."

Sameer stood up and stretched a little while she sipped on the water. He then fussed over her as she slipped out of the bed and made a trip to the bathroom.

A boy carrying a tray full of little glasses of tea peeked into the room asking how many they would like. When Sameer shook his head at the offer, Naina asked him to leave back just one.

She had barely taken a sip or two, when an older man stood in the doorway. He was the same person Sameer had noticed sleeping on the wooden bench outside her room when he arrived.

Clearing his throat, the man informed Naina that he had been sent by Radhika to keep an eye on her during the night. After enquiring about her health, he shared that some of her colleagues were expected to arrive soon and he would leave then. Naina thanked him for sticking around during the night and he soon left to find some tea for himself.

Sameer headed to the bathroom to freshen up. Naina was lost in thoughts as she sat sipping on the hot drink.

As soon as Sameer stepped out of the bathroom, she asked him "Won't your family be wondering where you are? What did you tell them last night?" He sighed "I just asked Kabir to cover for me. Naina, I could hardly tell Mom and Dad that I was coming here. Don't worry, he will manage." He chuckled wryly "It's not the first time we have had each other's backs!"

She bit on her lower lip as she contemplated on his words. Casting a look at the clock on the wall, she spoke "Sameer, I think you should head back now. My colleagues might arrive anytime... and I don't want them to see you here. It will give rise to unnecessary questions." He started protesting "I can't leave you alone till the senior doctor comes by and gives you an all-clear." She shook her head "No Sameer. I really don't want to risk any speculations or gossip!"

He was exasperated "Naina, it's just a job! And who are they to judge you?" She muttered crossly "Don't presume to understand my situation. It's not just a job! It's a job, that's my livelihood, one that I desperately need. Sameer, my Nani needs heart surgery, and I have to save for it. I cannot jeopardise her health by any recklessness! You will go back to your world with the liberal western values in a few days, but I have to live here and face my co-workers every day. Being able to hold my head high in front of them matters to me."