TWO

Flirt

"Hi."

Hi. He said, hi. I waited for him to say anything after 'hi', but he didn't speak. Instead, he settled himself by staring at me.

And I caught myself staring back at him.

He looked different. Malayo na sa dating Alejandro. He looked fresh and a lot younger than his age. This was his look he sported on his birthday nearly five years ago. Lamang, mas nagkalaman na ito ngayon and I could tell that beneath his expensive suit, he had a solid and chiseled body.

I knew that he's a tall man, but I was speechless of the fact that he's literally towering over me.

Physically, he has changed a lot. He looks more normal and healthier compared before. And above all, nakakalakad na ulit ito. Bumalik sa alaala ko lahat ng paghihirap niya noong nakakulong pa ito sa silyang de gulong. During his darkest times, I was there. I wish I witnessed how he managed to pull through. I wish I was there when he took the first step. I wish I was beside him when he fell. I would have reached my hand for him.

Alejandro had no idea how hard I prayed to God to give him a chance to walk again. How he became the reason why I prayed.

I guess, he would never know.

If things weren't like this, I would have shouted to the world how proud I would have been for him.

I guess, he would never hear it from me.

If there's one thing that remains the same about him, it's how he carries himself. Crippled or not, he still gives off that menacing aura of a shrewd man that would make you want to hide under the table rather than look at him straight to the eye.

Come to think of it, I was able to get through him despite his shitty attitude, but now... I don't think I'd want to be in the same room with him.

This man in front of me had hurt me the most.

A sharp pang of pain hit my chest and I shut my eyes, trying to ease the agony that was slowly consuming me. The wound I was trying to hide from the depths of my soul is starting to show up. My wound is starting to bleed again.

I trembled and my knees weakened.

I flinched when he held my forearm, keeping me in place. I avoided his intense gaze. I hate to see the concern in his eyes. I hate him.

"Mr. Salvatore, we are honored to meet you." Dette grabbed the garland from my hold at siya na mismo ang nagsabit sa leeg ni Alejandro. "I'm Bernadette Belmonte, events manager of VIP Agency."

Alejandro removed his hold on me. I sighed at umatras ng ilang hakbang mula sa kanila. Hindi ko akalain na maapektuhan pa rin ako mula sa mapait na kahapon. Other people may think that five years seem so long ago, but for me it's not. Pakiramdam ko'y kahapon lang iyon nangyari. The pain I'm feeling now is as intense as it was before. It's burning deep inside me, creating a hallow hole.

I managed to live through it, but it still there. It never gone, even just for a second. I've been praying hard for it to be gone soon but I guess, soon is now so far away.

"What the hell is wrong with you."

Hindi ko napansin ang paglapit ni Dette sa akin. I looked past her at hindi ko man lang namalayan na umalis na pala ang grupo ni Alejandro.

"Sorry, Dette. I'm not myself today."

"Pambihira ka naman, Bea. Malaking client ito tapos nagkakalat ka." Hinawakan nito ang palapulsuhan ko at hinila papasok sa auditorium. "Bumawi ka. Ikaw ang mag-ayos ng lapel mic ni Mr. Salvatore. Nasa staff's table iyon. That's my order."