SEVENTEEN

Now or Never

"I'm glad you called me last night." Ani nito.

"You were the first person that crossed my mind." I answered truthfully.

Hinawi nito ang aking buhok at inipit sa aking tainga. "You have no idea how worried I was, Bea. Kung may kinalaman sa akin ang nangyaring panghihimasok ng kung sinuman sa apartment mo, ngayon pa lang ay hihingi na ako ng patawad. Napapamahak ka nang dahil sa akin." He gritted his teeth. He must have felt frustrated.

"This is not your fault, Ale. Hindi pa naman natin alam kung ano ba talaga ang intensiyon ng taong nagpapadala ng bulaklak sa akin at ng taong nanloob kagabi. Malay mo baka pagnanakaw lang talaga ang balak ng tao." I felt guilty because the last time we argued, I pointed my finger at him and blamed him for everything.

"Once I learn who's the person behind this, he better prepare himself for the hell I'm about to put him through. I will most certainly knock the life out of him." Dagdag pa nito.

I reached for his hand and squeezed it. Umiling ako. "Don't do things that might cause you in trouble, Alejandro. Let your men work on it."

"If something would have happened to you last night...." He shut his eyes tightly. Creases forming between his brows.

I gently rubbed his arm. "Nothing happened. You came to rescue me, and I can't thank you enough, Ale."

"Whoever he is, he started it. He's taunting me. He's challenging me, Bea. I am not backing out especially now that he or they tried to harm you."

I swallowed. A certain person crossed my mind. "Do you think it's Ivo?" The mere mention of his name made my stomach twitch. I really hate that man. Ang huling balita ko sa lalakeng iyon ay nakakulong sa bilibid.

Alejandro must have felt the tension in my nerves, so he took my hand to his mouth and kissed my knuckles. "That's impossible. Ivo died a year and a half ago. Food poisoning." Alejandro tensed a little as he looked away.

I was speechless. I blinked my eyes and wet my lips. "Are you telling the truth?"

Tipid na tumango ito. "My lawyer confirmed the news to me. I was still in America that time."

Hindi ko alam ang dapat kong isipin. Kinilabutan ako. Sa kabila ng ginawa ng lalakeng iyon sa akin, nalulungkot akong isipin na namatay na ito.

"Si Adrielle. Ano ang balita sa kanya?"

"Don't even think about that bitch, Bea."

I gasped. "She's your wife."

"What? She wasn't and never will be. I told her to back off and move on. I have men following her every move. She was in Manila recently and—oh, fuck. Don't give me that look, Beverly Ann." His eyes widened.

"You were in Manila weeks ago." I didn't want to sound jealous but that's exactly what I was feeling at this moment. "You're with her." My voice cracked at the last word. Napayuko ako.

"Look at me." He commanded softly. Using his hand, he jerked my chin up so I could meet his tender eyes.

"Yes, I was with her for only an hour. I spared her an hour to explain why she's in the Philippines. She attended the funeral of her father's sister. She flew back to Spain two days after." He breathed. "There's nothing between us. Our relationship ended even before I had an accident, Bea. I have told you that. I caught her cheating on me. Saw her fucking with Ivo on her bed when I paid her a surprise visit. They were lovers."

I knew this. Naibulalas ni Ivo ang relasyon nilang dalawa ni Adrielle noong araw na kinidnap niya ako. "But they're cousins."

"They're not." Alejandro shook his head.