Chapter Twenty Seven

Start from the beginning

The emperor seemed a bit shocked at the news. He knew I was reborn after my outburst at the funeral, but other than that, people were clueless. "That makes you happy?"

"Yes," I confirmed. "He's still Liam. And I think the gods let me see it, to let me know, I'm allowed to let him go. I'll love him forever, but I can't let myself throw away my future. I can't wallow in grief forever."

"I'm glad for you. If you wish to represent us, you are free to do so."

"Thank you for allowing me the honor."

The emperor gave me a curt nod. "Maybe you'll meet someone while visiting."

"That's not happening, I can assure you of that," I sputtered out. "Relationships are not for me. Not for awhile at least."

"Shame really. Maybe you'll marry into the family."

I shook my head, "your highness, I respect you, but sometimes you say things that I have no idea how to respond to."

"More speaking to myself really. And with all that, the meeting is over, you are all free to go."

Everyone still didn't quite know how to process what transpired, but I walked out, running straight into the prince.

Literally.

But not Damon.

Second prince Florian.

He just turned twenty one a few months back from what I was aware.

"Oh, pardon me your highness."

The prince looked me up and down, "you're a noble ?"

"Ah, that I am, perhaps your brother or father mentioned me?"

People inside were finally walking out, including the emperor. Now, me talking to the prince is nothing, but this prince... I-

"I bet I could fuck your brains out."

Oh god.

Now, I knew that took my a moment to process, as it probably did for everyone.

"I'm sorry, I don't think I heard you right."

The prince smirked, "I said, I could make you moan like a whore. Do you want to be a royal?"

I took in a deep breath, "I see chivalry doesn't run in the family." I straightened my posture. "And that's big talk for a man who never fought a battle. If I wanted just fun after the death of my husband, believe me, I'd be able to find it. I'm not a whore for your amusement. Now, you should find your manners teacher, so he can slap some sense into your entitled arse."

The Prince's face contorted into anger, "how dare you-"

"Prince or not, I don't fear you. And I don't fear the emperor. If you think you can harm me, you're sorely mistaking."

Before anyone else could say something, Damon rounded the corner and saw us.

"Isaiah, you look well!" He walked over, standing besides his younger brother. They had similar features, but Florian was so much duller compared to Damon.

"I have been doing well. How about you Prince Damon?"

"I'm doing fine. I see you've finally met my brother."

"Well, I think we've met before, but only in passing. Hard to avoid your family."

"True. I see you've finished your meeting, so I'll let you be. Florian, we have things to go over."

"How can-"

"You should follow your brother." Florian went to glare at the voice, but paled upon seeing his father. The prince nodded and scurried off with Damon. The emperor turned to me, "I apologize for my second son's rudeness. I don't know where he gets it from."

"Well, the kingdom will be fine seeing as Prince Damon is the heir and not the second or third prince."

The emperor shook his head, "all these years and it still sounds like you're trying to scold me. Shame you aren't my son."

"I'd make a shit prince. Thank you though."

A diplomat looked at me very confused, "you spoke so informally and harshly with the princes!"

"I've also told the emperor he's incompetent, I'm still alive for a reason."

"You've what?"

The emperor let out a hearty laugh. "He's always been a bit headstrong. I must get going, enjoy the test of your day." The emperor walked out and we were left to ourselves.

"You're pretty bold, aren't you afraid of what the emperor could do?"

"Not really, no," I admitted. "If he wanted me gone, he could've done so a long time ago."

The emperor was basically another father, bit that I'd ever tell him that. He was a good man when he actually paid attention to his kids. He did it more so after I got engaged/married. So he's a lot closer to his kids.

How Florian turned out like... that was a mystery.