“Is it because Julius is back?” Malakai rubbed her shoulders.

“Yeah…” Vanessa turned away from him. “I just… when we were walking back from the meeting, he came up to me and whispered to be ready. That the people who are coming like girls like me and if I put up a fight he’ll take you away from me…” Vanessa cried into his chest. “Malakai... I can’t lose you!”

“And you won't.” Malakai assured her, holding her closer.

“Promise?” Vanessa sniffled.

“Of course,” Malakai stroked her hair, “we’re going to be okay.”

“I don’t like being scared, Malakai… it’s so stupid… I’m Head Beta. I shouldn’t be scared of anything.” Vanessa muttered into his chest.

“I don’t remember that being a job requirement.” Malakai chuckled, laying back slowly on the bed with Vanessa still in his arms. “You’re allowed to be scared, Vanessa. You’re allowed to make mistakes, and you can’t be perfect all the time. I mean, look at who you’re mated to.”

Vanessa laughed, patting his chest. “I think you're perfect, Malakai.” She smiled sweetly at him.

“To you, sure, but I know I’m not perfect,” Malakai laughed, twirling strands of her curly hair in her fingers, “this isn’t about me though. It’s about you.”

Vanessa groaned, burying her face in his chest. “Can’t we go back to you?”

“No,” Malakai lifted her face up, “I know you keep this tough girl act up front so nobody will disrespect you, but it’s okay to be scared, worried, sad, and angry,” he kissed her caramel toned lips, “nobody is going to think less of you, Vanessa.”

“Last time Julius was here the pack was in chaos. Everything was lawlessness under his rule, and I don’t want you going through that.” Vanessa wrapped her arms around him. “I don’t want you to experience that horror.”

“Last time I checked, I’m a pretty strong Warlock.” Malakai smirked slightly. “I know I’m not some wolf, but my Mamma did teach me how to defend the people I love.”

“I know you’re strong, Malakai, but I meant emotionally.” Vanessa sighed, listening to his heart thump in his chest. “I love how passionate and joyus you are, and I don’t want Julius to take that away from you.”

“He won't,” Malakai assured her, “you gotta stop worrying too much about me. I’m not made of glass, Vanessa.”

“I know you’re not,” Vanessa’s eyes drifted towards the scar on Malakai’s stomach, “but…”

“Vanessa,” Malakai sat up and kneeled beside her. He placed her hand on the scar. “It was one – only one – fireball to the stomach.” He traced her finger along the scar before moving it up towards his heart. “You feel that? That thumping?”

“Yes, Malakai. I’m not stupid.” Vanessa rolled her eyes.

“Yes, but do you feel it?” Malakai asked again, dragging out that single word.

“Yeah I feel it.” Vanessa replied, mocking his tone.

“Vanessa, I’m serious.” Malakai muttered.