𝟵 - 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗿𝘆 | 𝗢𝗱𝗱𝗻𝗲𝘀𝘀

Start from the beginning

The aching decreased little by little, leaving me with a feeling of pure exhaustion all along my body. My head hurt and I felt the need to sleep a long nap.

Natalie's movements didn't end there. She reached for a first aid kit I hadn't seen before and revealed two white oval-shaped pills.

"Here. Painkillers. I'll get you water." She looked at me concerned before she stood up, but I stopped her, ignoring the annoying pain spreading along my torso.

Without saying a word, I swallowed dry both of the pills. I glanced sideways at Natalie and saw her scrunching her nose and frowning, but swallowing pills was the easiest thing for me. She then walked towards the kitchen, frustrated.

I had a second to take in my surroundings; I was sitting on a regular brown leather couch, a wooden coffee table and an old TV in front of me. To my left, I could see a well-length window to a very small balcony and, to my right, I could see the isle and kitchen, where Natalie was pacing back and forth. The place was dusty, dim-lightened and coated with her fragrance, nice and cozy in its own way.

Today had been crazy. I had gone from witnessing my dad being killed to fighting his murderer, then getting shot and being saved by the same woman who put a bullet on my father's forehead. Damn, it sounded so weird. It was, because I shouldn't, but I wanted to thank Natalie.

She wasn't a good person. She was a killer. She found pleasure in other people's suffering. Her first instinct was to attack. Nothing good could come out of a person like this; someone who had tricked her loving parents into thinking she had been kidnapped or worse. They were suffering and she didn't care. She wasn't good. But yet, I was grateful.

She had saved me when she could've let me die. I wasn't any help for her, I just wanted her dead, and she still was sane enough to save me. There was humanity left in her - not much, but something. Knowing this softened my heart.

What are you even thinking about, Harry.

"Thank you, Natalie." I suddenly blurted out, surprising both of us with my words. Her eyes were wide and her brows were raised as she remained frozen.

"Oh, um, you're welcome." She answered hesitantly, scratching the back of her neck while she sipped from a water bottle. The silence that washed over the room after that was even more deafening than the loudest noise, not comfortable at all.

"Why did you help me?" I then broke the silence, getting rid of the question that was written in capital letters in my mind. Why would she help me? Why?

Natalie seemed more relaxed when answering my second question, because she inhaled a deep breath as she walked towards the place on the couch next to me. She sat, staring at the inactive television with a blank expression and leaving the plastic bottle on the coffee table.

"Those guys... they are after me. They've been after me for a long time now. They're called... Mort Negra, or something." She started motioning with her hands, never looking into my eyes. "They don't have mercy. At all. They're the kind of killers that enjoy the taste of the blood. They don't have a boss or work for anyone, they just choose random people and kill them. They've been inactive all of these years because they've been looking for me. They wouldn't have let you live, Harry, let alone now that you're with me."

Oh, fuck.

And I thought Natalie was a reckless killer.

Now that I thought about it, I already knew these... assassins. They had carelessly killed people before, carving the name of their group with a knife on their chests. This was one of the cases we were never able solve, and damn, it was so fucking dangerous.

I had no idea why Natalie was trusting me with this knowing I was part of the FBI. Maybe she thought I was still too dazed since the gunshot thing, but I knew how to deal with them, so I was going to remember everything she told me quite clearly.

"You're going to work with me." Natalie shook me out of my trance, speaking in a tranquil tone that gave away absolutely nothing. My head snapped back at her, my eyebrows creasing together while I tried to process what she had just said.

"What?" I said loudly, not believing what she had just stated. Work for her? Please.

"You heard me." She finally turned to look at me. Her hazel eyes were so penetrating I had to blink a couple times before talking again.

"There's no way in hell I'm working with you." I chuckled with no humor at all, shifting uncomfortably on my place and feeling the pain of my wound resurfacing. "Why would I do that?"

"Because I know Gemma and, as long as she stays in Europe, I can track her." Natalie smirked at me, her bad side showing up again. Did she even have a good side though?

Jesus christ.

My teeth pressed together, my jaw starting to ache under the pressure. How could she possibly know about my sister? And she was fucking threatening me? I was a goddamn FBI agent, had she forgotten about that small detail or what the fuck was going on in her mind?

"You lay a fucking finger on her and I swear to god I'll-" I raised a menacing finger, but she cut me off.

"Shoot me? Fight me? Go ahead, I can handle it." Natalie challenged, getting under my skin and completely erasing any kind of softness I was feeling. When she noticed my silence, she continued. "You'll call your boss to announce you'll take the license. You'll say you're going to be absent for a couple weeks because you need to recover from your father's death. Simple."

"And what if I don't?" I defied back, burning my eyes into hers. She didn't budge away her gaze, which left me with no choice but to keep staring back.

"You'll die and so will your sister." She looked away, capturing her bottom lip between her thumb and index finger. It was there when I noticed the multiple rings and rose tattoo. "And before you say you can protect her, no you can't, because I just told you a merciless gang of killers is after you, and they'll have you decapitated the minute you step a foot outside this building."

My words got stuck in my throat as I thought of something to answer back. If I cooperated, my sister would live and so would I. IfI didn't, then both of us died. My choice was clear. I had to work with Natalie whether I wanted to or not, because Gemma deserved to live.

How the fuck was I supposed to find my way out of this situation if there wasn't a way out? I couldn't be the selfish son of a bitch I usually was because I had to think about my sister. She was going to live. I had to do this for her.

"You in?" Natalie snapped me out of my mind, bringing me back to see her pretty eyes staring into mine.

"Do I have a choice?" I asked mockingly, rolling my eyes and letting go of an annoyed huff.

Natalie smiled widely, standing up and leaning dangerously close to my face. My whole body froze when she kissed my cheek teasingly slow, her soft lips doing wonders against my skin. I didn't know how to react, because I wanted to push her away, but I wanted her to stay at the same time.

When she was done, she moved her mouth to my ear and whispered softly, her voice echoing and sending an odd chill down my spine.

"I knew you'd change your mind."