Chapter 4: Answers

Sabrina felt as if the entire weight of the planet was placed on her shoulders now. Everyone was waiting for her to speak up. She gulped. Alya stood right next to her. She encouraged her to say what's on her mind and to reveal the truth. Sabrina took a deep breath one last time before she'd explain.

Sabrina's POV: I felt sorry for Marinette. And when she ran home like that, I knew she was definitely hurt. So, after school I made up a fake excuse to Chloe so I could go and check on her. When I entered her parents' bakery, her mother seemed very worried about her. She told me that Marinette came crying to her room some time ago. And she hasn't come out ever since. I went over to her room but stayed hidden because I didn't want her to think I was invading her privacy.

I saw her sitting beside her bed, with her face and arms on the bed and the rest of her on the floor. She said a few things but I couldn't hear them over her cries. And that's when I saw it. The akuma entered her bag. I was impressed to see her resist Hawkmoth for as long as she did. She stood up and held her head in her hands grunting as she walked across the room telling him no. But then she stopped at her dresser, looked at herself in the mirror and lost all her will in fighting Hawkmoth's control. A dark mist began to cover her and I.... I...

"You did what?" Alya asked.

"I ran." Sabrina said in a crying tone. "I should have done something. I should have helped her. But I was just to scared. I couldn't face her." She started crying.

"It's not your fault. Marinette made her choice." Chloe stated.

"So, Marinette's been akumatized. That would explain her recent behavior with everyone but... But why does she still look like herself?" Nino said while scratching his head in confusion.

"I don't know. But we have to warn Ladybug and Chat Noir." Alya said enthusiastically.

Marinette's POV (while getting akumatized): 'This was the worst day of my life. Not only was I humiliated but now everyone probably saw that video by now too. Miss Bustier scolded me for no reason and no one even dared to stand up for me. I'm such a loser. Such a failure. Adrien will never go out with me.' These were the only thoughts that kept coming up to me as I ran back home.

As soon as I entered the bakery, I felt even more embarrassed when my mom saw me crying like that. She probably thinks I'm weak. I told her that I wanted to be alone and went straight to my room. I threw myself to the ground while having my bed supporting my head and my arms that I was crying on.

I heard the door open a little from behind me. Probably mom checking on me but I didn't bother to look. There were so many things in my mind now. So many things I wanted to get off my chest but couldn't. Words couldn't come out of my mouth. I just sat there. Crying and crying. And that's when I heard it.

An akuma was approaching me. My efforts to get away from it was all in vain. It got into my purse. Thankfully, Tikki wasn't inside. She went to meet a friend of hers so I didn't have to worry about my secret getting exposed. Thank God for that.

And then I heard his voice. "Vexer, I am Hawkmoth. So, people hurt you? Well I'm giving you the ability to hurt them back anyway you desire. All I ask for in return are Ladybug's and Chat Noir's miraculous. Do we have a deal?" 

I knew this was bad. No matter how tempting it was, I had to fight his control.

I got up and told him no. But he didn't let me off that easily.

"No? Do you like being taken for granted? To be stepped on? To be lied to? Humiliated? Don't you want to stand up for yourself and teach them a lesson?"

I knew he was trying to manipulate me and I couldn't let that happen. I walked over to the side to think more clearly. I ended up standing in front of my dresser.

"Look at yourself." I looked up to see my reflection. "Look at how much pain they've caused you. How miserable you've become. How much longer will this continue?"

I hate to admit it but he was right. I looked awful. I looked tired, miserable and broken down.

"I can sense that you're interested in my offer."

Dammit! How did he find out? I didn't say I agreed to his terms but I was tempted to have some real power for a change. Power that I can use by my free will and not just for the greater good.

Soon, a purple black mist covered my entire body. And though I looked the same, I could feel powerful. And having that power felt so good!