Chapter 9: Hopeful yet Doubtful

Meanwhile everyone is outside. They're getting more and more worried by every passing minute. Lila scoffed.

"It never took them this long to finish off an akumatization." She sounded more annoyed than terrified.

"Well it's not 'them' this time... It's just 'him'." Max corrected.

"I wonder where Ladybug is right now anyway." Kim added.

"Yeah. It's not like her to show up so late." Alya thought.

"I'm sure she's on her way... There's no way she'd just abandoned us, right?" Nino said confidently which gradually turned into a question.

They all hoped and prayed for their favorite superhero to show up. But she is nowhere in sight. The situation was getting worse. They heard loud bangs and other noises from inside the school.

Everyone was hoping it was Chat throwing Vexer around until the akuma leaves so he can cataclysm it. Everyone were making their own theories about what the situation is from the inside based on simple screams and flying bricks hitting the wall. But no one dared to look inside and confirm it.

They're scared, terrified in fact. Too terrified to even move. They're just arguing with each other about whatever the hell they think is happening in the school. Now came a loud noise of glass shattering. This made everyone tremble in fear. The teenagers were cring now. Miss Bustier cleared her throat trying to have the courage to speak again.

"Now now class, Chat Noir is inside fighting for us. Ladybug hasn't shown up yet. Which means we need to support him. Crying and screaming is just another way of admitting defeat. We can't let Hawkmoth win. Right?" She said with a shaky voice but the message was clear.

"Yeah well it's not our fault Ladybug isn't coming. What's up with her anyway? Is she busy with a hair dresser or what?" Chloe questioned impatiently.

"Not everyone has that time on their hands like you do Chloe." Kim teased.

"I'll have you know that I-" Chloe was ready to peel his skin off for that comment if Alya hadn't interrupted her.

"Stop it you guys! Miss Bustier is right. Since Ladybug isn't showing up, and I'm sure there's a logical explainition why, we have to be here for Chat. And be here for him when Vexer is defeated. When our Marinette will be back to normal again." She said.

"Cute speech. But you're practically asking us to die here for your little suicide mission." Lila commented.

Alya sighed. She knew it's pointless to have an argument with her. She wanted to smack her in the face for everything she's put poor Marinette through but another akumatization is not needed at the moment. She shook her head. Then said with a straight face,

"Marinette would have done the same for you." This shocked Lila.

Obviously, she wouldn't admit it but deep down she knew Alya was right. Marinette has always been there for them no matter what.

Nino faked a cough. "Back to the current situation... I'm willing to bet that Chat Noir is winning. She's probably even de-akumatized by now cause I don't hear any-"

and at that moment, Chat Noir flew right through a wall, bumping his head on a bench. He looked awful. His hair was all messed up. His skin was occupied by cuts and bruised. If it wasn't for his mask, you could have seen a black eye too. Everyone's hopes for safety came crushing down (i blame gravity for that lol).

"Go!" He whispered. "I'm keeping her distracted. Go get Ladybug and get out of here."

He said while getting up, his hand supporting his other arm. He probably needs to do that from the beating he just got. But before anyone could respond, they heard a laugh. They turned around and saw Vexer standing there.

She was still inside the school but the giant hole in the wall between her and the school playground kept her just a few steps away from her prey. Her laugh was rather frightening... Not like Marinette's cute giggle. More like an 80 year old having a stroke. (ok. Not a good example but you get the idea).

The butterfly outline was back. Hawkmoth's laughter was the only sound in the air right now. His, and Vexer's which was echoing his. Chat ordered everyone to leave and pulled out his baton from the back. The battle isn't over yet!