Chapter 13 - A God of a Different Color

I stared at Hades and his human-like features. My hands were still clasped over my mouth and as many questions as I had, no words managed to squeak from my throat.

Hades turned away as if his appearance were ghastly. His brow furrowed at Pain and Panic. "What do you mean 'it worked'?"

"Uhhh." The two minion demons said in unison.

Hades prowled over to them, his long blue hair falling in shambles over his gaze.

"It's been so long since you were normal. We thought, gee, maybe the boss would like to look like his old self again," Pain said.

Panic held up a single finger. "Precisely. And then we saw the way you looked at Meg and—"

Hades' glare melted away, replaced by an expression bordering on shock and confusion.

I finally let my hands fall at my sides and walked up to him, wrapping my fingers over his forearm.

"Meg," he whispered, his yellow eyes shifting before he twisted away.

I pressed my palm against his warm cheek, turning his head to look at me. Blinking rapidly, I trailed my fingers through the blue tendrils of hair hanging in wisps over his face and shoulders. "Is this the real you?" I cocked my head to one side.

"I know it's disgusting." His top lip lifted in a sneer.

His voice was still entirely his own, just escaping from a different vessel.

"Is he serious?" Pain asked Panic somewhere behind us.

The skin between my eyes creased as I traced my fingertip over his human nose. It slanted straight down, leading into highly chiseled cheekbones and a squared masculine jaw. "No. You're...beautiful."

Surprisingly, Hades didn't mind my caresses—my fleeting touches.

He rubbed the back of his next almost uncomfortably. "Not helping here, Nutmeg."

"How did you wind up looking like the other you?"

Hades sighed, taking both my hands into his. "Believe it or not I can occasionally have a bit of anger problem."

"Who? You?" I half-smiled.

"A long time ago, so far back I can scarcely remember—"

"Four thousand two hundred and twenty-three days," Panic interrupted.

I bit the inside of my cheek to keep from smiling.

Hades rolled his eyes. "Anyway, the other form—the one with the blue flame?" He made a halo gesture around his head with one hand.

"I'm familiar with it." I smirked.

"Previously, it was a form I used for intimidation, until one day I couldn't change back." His jaw tightened and so did his grip on my hands.

"Why?"

"I'd become so consumed with anger, jealousy, rage...I became the part of me everyone feared most." His nostril bounced in a snarl.

"You're not as villainous as everyone tries to make you out to be. Why don't you ever try to prove them wrong?"

He sighed. "Because sometimes it's easier to just be who they think you to be. I tried for a long while to convince mortals I wasn't all doom and gloom despite my day gig, but it did no good."

"So..." I cocked a single brow. "You wussed out."

A grin tugged at the corner of his lips and he pulled me against him. "You're the only mortal on the face of the planet that can talk to me like that. And not only do I let you, but it ignites a fire in my belly that I haven't felt in—a long time."

"Four thousand two hundred and twelve—" Panic started.

Hades threw his hand out, sending Pain and Panic flying from the room and into the hallway. The door slammed shut behind them, the tumbler locking into place echoing off the walls of the quiet space.

"How did you change back Hades?" I stared at his lips.

He dipped his head, grazing his nose against my earlobe. "Because you love me."

My throat squeaked and I caught his gaze. "That's a big declaration."

"Don't you?" His brow furrowed and a frown slid over his mouth when I didn't respond straight away.

"I wouldn't have become me again were it not for you accepting the true me. Despite the pointy teeth, the crazy flames of hair, even despite the inferno outbursts, you still looked at me like I was your answer to all life's questions."

I let out a shaky breath, a lump forming in my throat.

"You could've easily run to Wonder Boy, but you didn't."

I blinked so rapidly my vision blurred.

"Do you love me, Meg?" He pressed our foreheads together. "Because I sure as Tartarus love you."

My heart burst. I curled my arms around his neck and leapt up. He wrapped his arms around my waist, holding me in mid-air and I kissed him. Tears rolled down my cheeks, making the union of our lips salty and sweet.

Pulling away, I stared into his eyes. Eyes that were different than the guy I fell for, but still held the same depth. "Yes. I love you, Hades."

His chest pumped up and down, his breathing growing erratic.

He pressed his mouth to my ear and said the second sweetest set of three words I could hope for.

"I release you."

A/N: Admit it, you thought the lemon scene was coming

A/N: Admit it, you thought the lemon scene was coming. I live for the torture. Bwahaha. Don't worry, it's comin' ;)