Chapter 10 - Wonder Boy

Hades snapped his fingers, changing my Underworldly black attire into my normal purple toga. "The centaur's name is Nessus. And this will be a tad different than what I've asked you to do before."

I stretched my arms above my head. "How so?"

"I want him for my army. You'll be convincing him."

My face fell. "Your army? For what?"

Hades sighed. "Don't you get bored of asking the same question?"

"The Titans." I frowned, knowing by now it'd do no good to argue with him. It still left an empty pit feeling in my stomach.

"Time's a-wastin', Meg. Do me proud." He waved his hand, and I appeared in a thicket near a river and waterfall.

Rolling my shoulders, I spotted the centaur drinking water from the bank—blue, gray, huge, and ugly. Bile worked its way up my throat. I gulped it down, flicked my hair, and sauntered over to him.

"What's a gal got to do to get her back scrubbed around here?"

Nessus' head shot up, his yellow eyes widening and then softening when his gaze fell on my hip swivel. "Well, hello."

"I'm going to cut straight to the chase, Hooves. Hades wants you for his army." I crossed my arms, hoping, praying this oversized oaf didn't try any funny business.

"His army? Hm. And he sends a mortal woman to do his bidding?" His hooves beat against the dirt as he neared me, a wicked glint in his eye.

"It's a long story. Look, just agree to it, and we can both be on our merry way."

He ran a hand over the long black beard draping over his chest. "Hm. And what do I get in return?"

"Are you kidding?" I cocked a brow. "Did you hear what I said? The god of the Underworld himself wants you to fight for him. Isn't that enough?"

He smiled, showing rows and rows of razor-sharp teeth. "Not by a long shot." He circled me, eyeing me up and down like a piece of meat.

My heart raced. Where in Tartarus was Hades? He normally showed up by now. "Nessus. Don't do anything stupid."

"Oh? Do you belong to someone?" He narrowed his eyes.

I gulped. "You got me there."

Maybe if I screamed, Hades would show up?

I screamed the girliest scream I could muster.

Still nothing.

One of Nessus' hands launched at me, and I dove, tripping into the river water.

"Not so fast, sweetheart," Nessus purred, wrapping his large hand around my torso and lifting me from the ground.

I growled. "I swear, Nessus, put me down or I'll—" Against my better judgment, I kicked him in the chest.

For a mere second, he looked shocked, and then his gaze turned predatory. "Oo, I like 'em fiery."

If Hades weren't death itself, I'd kill him. Positively kill him.

"Let go of me. This is your last warning," I snarled, flailing my arms at him.

He brought me to his face, and I shoved my palms against his nose.

"Halt," a random man's voice called out.

I turned my head with a raised brow.

He had red hair, blue eyes, muscles for days, and dressed like he thought he was a hero or something.