Chapter 6 - Envy is a Monster of Green

It was a rare day. Hades inexplicably disappeared without locking me in my room. I'd hardly know what to do with myself. Said not me ever.

I scurried down the hallway, continually glancing behind me like he'd pop in at any moment. Breezing past an open door, I spied Pain & Panic out of the corner of my eye and backpedaled.

They were standing on top of a table with wooden figures, picking them up, and giving different voices for each.

"What are you two knuckleheads up to?" I asked, squinting at them with my arms crossed.

They both froze with figures in their hands, eyes wide as oranges.

"Uh," Pain started, shifting his eyes to the figurine in his hand before snapping it behind his back. "Nothing."

Panic threw the figures on the floor. His right eye twitched, and his feet turned inward.

"Oh, really?" I asked, sauntering my way inside. "Sure, doesn't look like nothing."

Panic kicked Pain in the shin.

I swiped one of the figures from Pain's hand. He yelped.

Running my thumb over the wood, I narrowed my eyes at the familiar shape. "Is this...a titan?"

"What makes you say that?" Panic asked, twiddling his fingers against each other.

I raised a brow. "Hm. The fact this one looks like ice, that one looks like melting lava, and let me guess...the one on the floor looks like a big fat rock?"

They both laughed nervously, shifting their eyes at each other.

Pain scratched the back of his head. "It's uh...chess."

"Yes!" Panic nodded enthusiastically. "That's right. We were playing chess."

The table had a map of Greece laid out on it, Mount Olympus drawn above it.

"Don't you need squares to play chess?" I tossed the figure onto the table, placing one hand on my hip.

"Not us. We're smart enough not to need them," Pain said, lifting his chin.

Panic rolled his eyes and dropped his face in his hand.

I slapped my hands on the table and leaned forward, staring death daggers into the two demon minions. "What is going on? Tell me."

They both jumped and hugged each other, trembling.

"The boss would kill us," Pain cried out.

I narrowed my eyes and grabbed an ear from each, yanking them toward me. "What do you think I will do?"

Panic shrieked, and Pain wailed.

"Okay, okay!" Pain said, his shoulders hunching forward.

Panic shook his head back and forth, his large yellow eyes begging Pain.

"The boss has some big elaborate plan to release the titans," Pain rattled off and winced.

My heart fell to my feet. I let go of them, staring down at the map on the table.

"He's...what?" I asked, my voice small and barely audible.

"Heh. I'm sure it's all talk," Panic said in a...well, panic.

I narrowed my eyes. "Is he out of his mind?"

Pain and Panic glanced at each other sidelong. "Yes?" They both replied.

Growling under my breath, I turned away, storming for the door.

"Hades!" I bellowed, prowling to the hallway.