XXI: Raid of Steel

"I will go up to the gate," William stated

"I will go up to the gate," William stated. "Aria, you will have your bow ready and drawn. Suyi, you will stick to the shadows and make your way up on top of the walls. No one attacks until I give the signal. I have to be sure they aren't our men although they don't appear to be. Are we all at an understanding?"

Aria and Suyi nodded their heads. Suyi placed her palm against the dirt, her eyes flashing a glow before the shadow swallowed her whole. William rose to his feet, turning to briefly look at Aria who was readying her bow. Reaching her hand behind her, Aria took an arrow from her quiver and placed it upon the string. William nodded his head before turning back towards the gate. With a deep breath, he calmed her never before taking the first step. 

William approached the gate, his arms crossed as he waited for the metal bars to rise. Silence hung within the air. He looked up at the wall. The palm of his hand rested on the hilt of his sword. A slight breeze pushed at his hair, while his heart sunk deeper with each passing second. The bars never rose. A man upon the walls ran to where the gate was, placing his hand on the edge to look over the wall. With the rise of his sword, he slammed it into the brick wall. The burly man pulled a dagger from his belt, throwing it down at William. Jumping back, William looked up at the man.

He was not familiar. The posture and stance of the man were sloppy, reckless while knights knew footwork and positioning at the highest level. Training in the mornings always started with posture, because one wrong step could be the last. Even though Ike only recently gave the decree to extend that training to guards, they should still know the basics. The man wore no armor with hair that was an untamed mess of brown locks. Crossing his arm over his chest, he drew his sword.

"Who the fuck are you?" The man yelled as he pulled another dagger from his belt as William narrowed his glowing eyes. "You picked a wrong day to get lost!"

"That's all I needed to know," William said quietly. With the snap of his fingers, lightning burst out of his hand. It pushed on the man, tightly wrapping and frying his veins as it traveled through his arm and to his heart.

He watched as Suyi jumped from the shadows, grabbing hold of the wooden wheel so that she may pull at it to raise the gate. A man began to make his way at her. William moved, ready to strike. Yet, before he could an arrow shot into the neck of the man. Blood dripped down his chest like a red river. He held at his neck as he fell over the wall. His body thumped on the ground and distorted. The sounds of scrambling footsteps caught William's attention. Men in the yard rushed around, pushing one another as they reached for their weapons. They turned, some running towards Suyi at the wheel of the gate and others towards the gate.

William walked through the gate. Each step he took sparks glided against the ground, singeing the grass beneath his boots. With his sword in hand, he pressed his thumb against the blade. Lightning shot down to the blade and danced around it. He turned his head towards the bandits. Some took a step back, fearing the glow of his eyes and the lightning that licked around the corner of his eyes.