XII: Learning of Letters

Aria stared down at the liquid in the cup before her, watching as it gently rippled from William's tapping fingers

Aria stared down at the liquid in the cup before her, watching as it gently rippled from William's tapping fingers. They played a song against the wooden table, as he continued to tap them in a certain pattern. Taking the tankard into hand, she brought it to her lips and took a drink. Her mouth and throat filled with a burning sensation.

William's eyes quickly shifted towards Wolfram, watching as he talked with Sam. Aria watched as his shoulders rose and fell. His fingers stopped their beating. Reaching for the tankard, he took a quick drink and began to lean back in the booth. His finger went under the collar of his shirt, and he proceeded to loosen the strings. 

Aria placed the tankard back on the table. Taking a deep breath, she intertwined her fingers together while she placed her hands on the table. She straightened her back, lifting her chin as if to give an illusion of dominance.

"I know you didn't just carry me here to drink," she said. "You have a much better crowd than me."

"I don't know about that," William chuckled while he lifted the cup to his lips. "You're pretty pleasant company. Plus, Wolfram likes you."

Aria looked over at the child, noticing his beady eyes occasionally glancing her way. She gave him a smile, which he returned with one of his own. It wasn't until she heard the thud of William's tankard did she turn back to him.

"You're right," he began, "I didn't just drag you here to have a drink. But, I thought it would help lighten the mood. After all, you have calmed down a bit."

"Right," Aria said with annoyance. "But why did you come find me in the first place?"

"I heard about what happened at the town square today from Zaydn." Aria bit at her lower lip the minute the words left him. Zaydn's threat echoed in her ears, causing her to clutch her fist. "judging by you body movement from the mention of his name, you're not on good terms with Zaydn."

"He threatened me. Told me he would cut off my arms the next time I put my hands on someone who is higher than me." William busted into laughter, causing Aria to be taken back. He clutched at his stomach while his hand covered his eyes.

"What harm is he going to do," he jested. "The most he's ever done is hit someone with a book. Don't mind him. He doesn't have all the power he likes to fill his head with."

Aria lowered her head and noticed that she had loosened her grip. Strangely, she felt calm. Puzzled by his actions, Aria tilted her head and narrowed her eyes. William looked at her, raising one of his eyebrows.

"Sorry," she whispered. "I just...I thought you'd be a lot like your brother."

"Zaydn?" he scoffed while kicking up his boots onto the table. "We're similar in some ways but we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things. He likes to see himself higher than a lot of people, especially halflings. That's why he doesn't like me being around you or good old Sam."