Part One. Chapter 6.

Dallas

It's been three days since Cash showed up drunk. It's also been three days since I had the dream about Chase. I've been trying to avoid him. I was worried that I would catch feelings even though we are looking for my boyfriend. Tucker, Chase and I had decided to talk to Cash. I have been avoiding my brother and avoiding any contact with him. Tucker and Chase haven't been pressuring me, either.

I was sitting in my last class, dreading talking to my brother with Tucker and Chase when a frequently asked question entered into my brain. What do the dreams really mean? Is Austin actually dangerous? If we find him, how different is he going to be? Will we still be together? What will he think of me? The bell rang, snapping me out of my thoughts. Homeroom rushed by and I drove home. Cash was sitting in the living room, I took a quick glance at him and rushed upstairs. I started on my homework. I was a few subjects in when the doorbell rang. I hopped off my bed and walked downstairs to the front door. Sure enough, Cash was at the door before me. Chase and Tucker were standing in front of him, faces stern, and arms crossed. Chase was in black jeans, a plain white shirt and a flannel. Tucker was in jeans and a pale peach shirt with a leather jacket.

"Just the person we're looking for actually," Chase was saying. I greeted the boys and led them inside. We all walked to the diner table. Chase sat to my left and Tucker sat on my right. Cash was in front of us.

"What do you want?" Cash asked coldly.

"We want to know why Austin drew a wad of cash on the rock we found." I handed him the rock. Cash looked it over and turned pale at the drawing.

"Got anything to say?" Tucker challenged. Cash stared at the rock for a few seconds.

"Yeah, I don't know if y'all want to know." Cash told us.

"Wow, that's all you got?" Chase scoffed. I was also amazed that he had the guts to not tell us.

"Yeah, sorry guys," Cash got up, grabbed his keys and left. The three of us sat in silence for a while, processing what just happened. Cash and I always told each other things. Ever since we started finding the clues, he's been distant and out of the house a lot.

"Should we follow him?" Tucker suggested. It wasn't a bad idea.

"He's probably long gone by now. There's no way we can catch up to him." Chase said.

"Yeah, but we can try." I chimed in. The boys shared a look then nodded.

"Ride together in my truck?" Chase suggested. Tucker and I agreed. We walked outside and hopped in the truck. I jumped in the front seat and Tucker took the backseat.

"Does he have his phone on him?" Chase asked once we were on the road.

"Yes," I answered.

"Tucker, track him." Chase ordered. Tucker quickly pulled up his location. He was headed to the cliff. If my thoughts were correct, we had to drive fast.

"Shit, he's headed to the cliffs," Tucker pointed out, reading my thoughts. "Drive fast."

Chase pressed on the gas and we whizzed past trees, through the downtown and into the country. The sun started setting when we arrived. As I expected, Cash was sitting on the edge of the cliff. The boys widened their eyes and got out. I told them to stay in the truck and let me handle this.

"Cash," I walked up next to him. His eyelids were red and his face looked wet. He didn't look at me, he stared straight ahead. I let him sit in silence for a few minutes.

"I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry," Cash finally said. I turned to him and saw the tears had started again.

"What's going on Cash? Let me in." I asked softly. He wrapped his arms around me and cried into my shoulder. I stayed solid, I didn't cry with him. He pulled back and took a breath.

"You're right, I know something. I just don't know if you can take it." He confessed.

"Bullshit, I'm calling the boys over," I moved to get up and grab Tucker and Chase but he grabbed my hand. I shook it off and walked to Chase's truck.

"Please, Dallas. I can explain." He called after me.

"Fine, then you can explain it to me, Tucker and Chase." I told him, crossing the road to the truck. He didn't follow me. I got in the front seat, leaving him on the other side of the road. Chase shifted in his seat to face me.

"What's going on?" He asked gently. I shook my head, not answering him.

"Dallas, everything okay?" Tucker leaned forward from the backseat, I swallowed and mustered up my courage.

"Cash said that he does know something but he doesn't know if I can take it." I explained to them. The boys shared a nervous look that I pretended not to see. Tucker leaned back and sighed deeply.

"Where is he now?" He finally asked.

"I left him on the other side," I admitted. Chase got out of the truck and crossed the street. It was hard to see through the tinted windows, but it looked like he was arguing with Cash. At last, Chase opened the door opposite of Tucker and Cash got it.

"Such a gentleman," Cash said sarcastically. I knew that was the wrong to say so I winced as Chase glared at him. Chase closed the door and got in the driver seat. He turned the key and paused before putting the truck into drive and pulling out.

"So where are we going?" Cash asked, forcing a happy smile. No one answered him. The ride was silent other than Chase's usual tapping on the steering wheel. I could tell he had a lot on his mind because he almost blew a stop sign, I had to quietly point it out.

After a few county lines, he took his free hand in mine and rested our hands on his thigh. Clearly Cash saw it because he said, "So are you two a couple now? I mean, I know we're looking for Austin and all but y'all seem pretty affectionate."

"God, Cash, can you just shut up?" Chase said, annoyed.

"That was quite rude, you know." Cash pressed on. Chase sighed deeply and pressed on the gas.

"Well, who's the one that wasn't there when their sister had a panic attack and ended up in the hospital?" That shut Cash up. I looked out the window. It was dark out and we were on a country road, canopied be tree branches. We were the only ones on the road and I didn't recognize it. Finally, we ended up in Braxton's downtown. Chase must have taken the long way.

At last, we arrived at my house. The four of us got out and walked inside without saying anything. When we got inside, Tucker and Cash headed to the living room. I went to follow them but Chase grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the kitchen, where they wouldn't hear us.

"Well, what are we going to say?" I wondered, sitting on the island. Chase was pacing around it.

"I have no fucking idea. Now that I think of it, there's nothing to say. I mean what are we going to say? 'Hey Cash, what are you hiding?'" Chase said, sounding angry and frustrated.

"I would love to ask that," I whispered loudly so Chase could hear me. He smiled.

"Yes, it is the most logical question," he chuckled. We shared a smile before Tucker came in.

"Ready?" He gave us a strange look.

"Yeah, let's go," Chase took my hand, giving me butterflies, and we walked to the living room. Cash was sitting in the love seat with his phone, the same position he was the night Austin went missing.

"You know what day it is?" Tucker asked him, standing over him. Cash looked up from his phone.

"Uh yeah, November twelfth." Cash answered, confused.

"Don't act dumb, Grady." Chase said crossly. Cash got up, pushing past Tucker. Chase blocked him with his hard body.

"You're not going anywhere until we know what happened." Chase growled. Cash backed up and ran a hand down his face.

"Fine," he sat back down. Tucker placed himself by the fireplace. I sat on the couch, facing him. Chase sat to my left, closest to Cash.

"Spill," I said to him.

"Are y'all really sure you want to hear this?" Cash asked, truly concerned. I rolled my eyes.

"Yes."