Chapter ♞ 25: Science Mishap

A/N I feel pretty crappy because the "Deleting" post was an April Fool's Joke and I actually made people cry and some people cursed me out, and others were confused and I'LL NEVER LEAVE YOU GUYS I LOVE YOU. BTW, do any of you know my "Stainless" Book (Nishiki and Uta?) I ACCIDENTALLY DELETED THE WHOLE STORY SO THE VOTES AND READS AND COMMENTS ARE GONE! 

Luckily I contacted some Wattpad Ambassadors and they gave me a link to Wattpad Support, and I filled out a form to recover and restore the entire book! We'll see how it goes :) 

Written by @Lunaishi (AKA my flippin' savior) 

Edited by me

And, Livvy (@OliviaIsWriting) will be writing chapters again soon so... this is a random shoutout to her. #Probablt

You took a deep breath, mentally preparing yourself for the awkward situation and possible conversation that you would have with Hikaru. Walking into the chemistry lab, you took your usual seat next to the window. The lab was pretty standard, white counters along with sinks on the end of each row. The teacher was busy writing down the motions of an experiment you would be doing today on the blackboard, but you didn't really pay attention.

As other members of the class began arriving and taking their seats, you cautiously looked out for the Hitachin twins. Their seats were next to yours, and there was six seats in your row. Would they decide to move away from you?

It seemed not. Your breath hitched when Hikaru took his usual seat next to you, Kaoru sitting next to him. You opened your mouth to say something to the redhead, but the teacher clapped his hands and began talking.

"Now class, today we'll be learning the uses of boric acid..."

You instantly blocked out the teacher's speech, and found that your thoughts were focused on Hikaru instead.

Would it be possible to whisper to him? No, you were in the front row.

Maybe pass a note? But would he even look at it?

You considered the possibilities, but jolted out of your thoughts when you felt a hand on your shoulder.

"Y/N." Kaoru said, leaning over you. "We're doing an experiment now, you need to get the equipment." He said. Yet you merely blinked. "Oh, right." You replied, glancing at the blackboard in order to figure out what you needed to get.

Heading to the back of the classroom, you picked up a Bunsen burner and a flask. You walked back to your seat, and noticed Hikaru had grabbed three pairs of goggles, one for him, Kaoru and you. The experiment required people to work in groups of three.

This was going to be fun.

Not.

Quickly you all got to work, and you didn't speak to Hikaru at all, but Kaoru managed to spark a conversation with you. You were too busy talking to him and didn't notice the smell of something burning, but when a shriek rang out in the class you turned to look at yourself.

Your uniform was catching fire! You yelped, bringing the attention of the rest of the class to you. Kaoru looked at you with a panicky expression, and looked around cluelessly while you tired to pat out the flames clawing their way up your dress.

"Should I get the fire extinguisher!?" he asked, half yelling. The teacher was already in front of you, a jug of water from the tap in his hands. Most of the students were watching or yelling loudly. The whole class was in disarray as they watched the acid slowly make its way up your yellow dress. 

Then the teacher threw the water over you, and being soaked to the bone was far more uncomfortable than you would've expected.

You shivered as the contents of the jug he was carrying hit you, it was freezing. The teacher began telling the class to calm down, but you didn't notice anything he was saying. The majority of your clothing was burnt, leaving a lot of your legs exposed. You looked around panicking on the inside. You couldn't walk around like this! It was only when you felt arms wrap around you did you stop your whirling thoughts.

Hikaru was tying his jumper around your waist from behind, not saying anything. The teacher noticed you two, and ran a hand through his hair.

"Hikaru, please bring Y/N to the school's nurse and make sure she's all right." He sighed, and Hikaru nodded. You looked down at the floor, and hurried after the redhead. His jumper covered most of you, but you still felt uncomfortable.

You watched Hikaru's long strides as you tried to keep up with him. Through the school halls the only thing to be heard were the echo of your footsteps. He wasn't taking to you, but you were too embarrassed to say anything anyway. The fact that the whole class had watched you catch fire was pretty embarrassing. Although you hadn't felt it back in the classroom, your hands stung as burnt skin peeled off, and your right leg was slightly burnt too. Wincing, you followed Hikaru into the nurse's office.

It was a pretty small room. Two beds next to the windows, a shelf full of bottles and pills, a giant cabinet and a computer in the corner. The nurse was nowhere to be seen.

Even though the school was full of doctors and nurses (one for each student, practically) you found it to difficult to move any further in your current state. 

Hikaru glanced over his shoulder at you, and quickly looked away when you met his gaze. You watched him chew his lip, before he walked over to the medical cabinet and began rummaging in the bottom drawers for something. You could do nothing but stand there awkwardly, looking at your burnt palms. How did that fire start anyway? Were you just that distracted, that you really weren't paying attention?

"Hand."

You looked up when Hikaru spoke, he was holding out his hand to take yours. In his other hand was an antiseptic wipe. Hesitantly, you held out your right hand, and he gently began to wipe it.

You winced, but didn't say anything, instead focusing on Hikaru's bent figure as he dabbed at your palm. "Hand." he said again, and you gave him your other one. He wiped that too, before looking up to meet your eyes.

"I couldn't find any burn ointment and... You need to get a new dress." He said, hesitantly as his face slowly became red. You could feel the heat spread to your cheeks when you realized how much you were exposed underneath Hikaru's jumper. Hikaru let go of your hand, and turned away, his back to you. You tried to formulate a sentence, anything to start a conversation, but you couldn't think of anything.

Hikaru cleared his throat. "Y/N." he began, still with his back to you. You waited for him to continue.

"I know I was wrong for that other day, but I won't say I'm sorry." he said. You bristled angrily. He sabotaged your day out with Nao, and he won't even say sorry? An apology was what was expected, and you felt that you deserved it. 

"I'll admit it, alright? I hate seeing you with that guy." This time Hikaru turned around to you. He grasped you shoulders, and pulled you closer to him.

"What is it that you like about him?" he asked, seeming genuinely frustrated. You couldn't think straight, not when Hikaru was so close to you.

"I-I don't know what you mean." you started, but before you could speak Hikaru leaned in close.

And kissed you.

"Y/N," he mumbled against your lips. You tried to pull away but he wrapped his arms around your shoulders. "I'm sorry for upsetting you." He continued, and then he let go.

"I'll ask Haru to get you a change of clothes, so stay here."

With that Hikaru left the nurse's office. It was so quick, you didn't know if what happened actually happened.

One thing you did know for sure was that this made life even more confusing than it already currently was.

You felt that you -of all people- deserved a small break from the predicament you were in.

___________________________

Comment what you would like to happen! It helps when we get feedback... and I owe you all because of that joke *nervous laughter*.

Honestly, please comment and be awesome!

Should the M/C spend more time with Kaoru, Hikaru or... NAO?!

♥