Chapter ♞ 47: Cupid's Arrow Was Off (2)

Finishing this book in five chapters hopefully. Updated for Mari.

Inspired by the song If I'm Being Honest by dodie.

-

"Have you done this before?" You ask cautiously as you were softly twirled about, Haruhi's hands steadying on your waist as you two moved swiftly about the room. The host club was closed for the day, in order to make preparations for the Winter Ball that was to take place in the evening. This meant the entire host room was empty and cleared out. 

Sometimes you could hear Kyoya inside one of the inner offices, finalizing preparations with florists, caterers and much more, but his voice on the phone was drowned out by the classical music fluttering in the air. 

"Is it that obvious?" Haruhi chuckled, making sure to keep you both steady as you stumbled over her toes. Properly dancing was difficult- you barely had rhythm when dancing to your own music, let alone 'fancier' types of dances. "For my first ball with them I had to learn how to dance from a guy's perspective. I don't think I'm that bad, right?" 

"Could be worse. I remember once at a middle school dance that you didn't leave room for Jesus when you were dancing with that one guy-"

This earned a snort from Haruhi, "That's the first time I thought I was going to get suspended from school."

"Yeah but it was so worth it. At least you weren't out twerking on the dance floor." You were mentally cringing at the images of you awkwardly in a dress with a bad haircut in middle school and limbs that seemed to move to the beat on their own, in the worse way possible.

The silence fell over you two again, as the dim sunset was gleaming through the windows. Haruhi's hair was slowly growing in length again, reaching the nape of her neck in a messy state. It was a comfortable silence, though the moves were slowly getting more complex which caused you to stare down at both sets of feet, as you were hoping to keep up. 

"Hey, Y/N, you alright? These past few days, you've been odd." 

This caused your movements to become still for a moment, but you quickly caught up again. "I'm fine. Just nervous about midterms, ya know?" 

Maybe it was the tint of blush on your cheeks, or the avoidance of eye contact or maybe it's because she was your best friend- but Haruhi hadn't believed you for a millisecond. 

"Are you positive? Because-"

"Haruhi!" A familiar voice boomed. "Tamaki is about to lose his marbles."

"What does that I have to do with me? I'm suppose to help Y/N practice dancing for tonight."

"I can help with that," Kaoru suggested. His tone seemed even though the slight glint in his eyes completely gave away his true feelings. Haruhi would never mention it, but she could recognize that expression anywhere. It was the same look Tamaki gave her, but she pushed those feelings down.

It was the eyes even Hikaru had given her at one point in time. 

"Where is he?" She asked agitated, releasing your hand and waist. "I need to ask him where they put my suit anyhow."

Kaoru gave you a look, eyebrows raised. You were quick to raise your hands behind Haruhi, shaking your head frantically. It was suppose to convey the message I haven't said shit yet. The orange haired male could only snort in response but kept a straight face, as he watched your H/C hair bounce about, alongside your expression. "He's in the garden. The mushrooms starting growing again and he thought they had a better chance at survival if they were outside."