Chapter 19

MICHAEL

"Are you sure you'll be okay? I can move the appointment." Nik says, as we stand in front of the club. He has a therapy session followed by physiotherapy scheduled for that day, which means he has to leave me alone for the afternoon.

I smile, feeling proud of the man standing in front of me. Nik is trying so hard; attending his therapy, taking his medication, and even trying out BDSM, all in an attempt to get better. And he is, I can already see the changes after only a month of the new regime.

His skin is glowing, his eyes are clear and bright and he doesn't retreat into himself as often as he used to when things become overwhelming. And he takes to subbing like a fish to water, which has been a surprise since Nik is usually the top in his relationships.

He will never be a true Submissive, and I don't want him to be, feeling quite satisfied to Dom him when Nik needs me to and spend the rest of our time as the Submissive one. Another surprise, even bigger than Nik, the realization that I love letting go of control.

"Don't be stupid. I'll be okay for one afternoon, and you shouldn't miss your therapy, it's too important."

Nik nods, smiling at me before he reachesup with his hand and lets it graze over mine. I step back at the contact, my eyes flying around to see if anyone had seen the gesture before I look back to see Nik's face falling.

"I... I'm sorry."

"I know." Nik says, trying to smile but it looks more like a grimace, making me feel horrible for hurting him, before he climbs into his car and drives away.

I sigh, hating myself for being such a coward before I make my way into the club, Nik's absence by my side like a punch to the stomach.

"Hi Mike!" Misha says as I stop near the bar where the redhead is cleaning the glasses and preparing for the opening.

"Hey, Freckles. What are you up to?"

"Nothing much. Jack's working a double shift so I volunteered to come early and prepare the bar for tonight. I hate staying alone in the apartment." Misha says as he sets the last glass in its place.

"Oh! I almost forgot! Something came for you just before you came in." he says as he turns around and pulls something from one of the shelves.

I blanche at the sight of pink paper, my ears buzzing as I take it when Misha offers it.

"Thank you." I whisper before turning around and all but running away to my office. I shut the door quickly and as soon as I'm alone, I all but rip the envelope apart as I pull out the letter.

Dear Master,

Why do you anger me so much? Why do you keep insisting on ignoring me?

I know what you did.

The police came to my home and brought me in for questioning. Then they locked me up in a facility, forced me to stay there for a month, and all because of what you told them.

Why would you do that? Why would you hurt me so?

I know that you even hired a bodyguard; some German guy, who never leaves your side. I saw the two of you at the club.

Tell me, is he just that or is he something more?

I noticed the way he looks at you, he loves you, I can tell. Do you love him?

I will die if you do.

Please, Master, stop with this nonsense and come back to me.

I've been patient with you, but enough is enough. Please don't make me do something we would both regret.