Chapter 16

NIKLAS

"Stop that." Michael hisses from his place behind the desk, staring at the papers in his hands but not really seeing anything.

"What?" I ask, feigning confusion though a smirk plays at the edges of my mouth.

"Staring. I can't concentrate." he says as he looks up, rolling his eyes when he sees me smirking.

I stand up from the little sofa in the corner of his office and walk until I'm standing behind him, squeezing his shoulders for a second before letting my hands travel further down his front, stopping just an inch away from his pants.

"So, what you are saying is that I distract you." I whisper as I press my nose into the side of his neck, inhaling his scent before planting a small kiss there.

"Please, not here. I'm at work." Michael says as he quickly stands up, leaving me to stand alone.

"Work? The same work where you have sex on an almost regular basis in front of people? That work?" I say, my voice growing cold as I stare at him.

"I'm sorry Nik. I just... I'm not ready for anyone to find out, okay? This is still so new to me; it's barely been two weeks and I just need some time."

I look away for a moment, my fists clenching and unclenching before shortly nodding my head in acceptance.

I know that Michael is right. We've been seeing each other, or whatever this thing between us is, for barely two weeks. And seeing as that is the same amount of time since Michael has realized that he's gay, it's not surprising that he needs more time to process.

It must have been hard, living in denial for such a long time, never truly happy and yet, unaware of the reason behind it.

I know why Michael is having such a hard time coming to terms with it despite the overwhelming support he would receive if he did come out.

My blood still boils whenever I remember everything Lieutenant O'Neill had revealed about the ranch and Michael's biological parents, and the treatment anyone different but especially gay kids got while living there.

Michael had been just a child then; still unaware of his sexuality and to personally witness what happened to those that were different must have traumatized him.

"Thank you." Michael whispers, looking at his feet with a sad frown on his face. I sigh, cursing myself for acting so rashly, before walking over to where the man is standing and pulling him into a hug.

"I'm sorry. I understand and I'll wait as long as you need."

Michael smiles and then pecks my lips before quickly stepping away and returning to his seat behind the desk.

∞∞∞

MICHAEL

"Stay with me tonight?" I say once we come up for air. We are lying together on the sofa in my living room, trying to watch a movie but not really succeeding since Nik keeps pulling me into a kiss every five minutes. By this point, I'm not even sure what we've started watching in the first place.

Nik looks at me for a moment, before slowly nodding.

"Okay, I just..."

"You just need to go and change in private, so I don't see your leg." I interrupt; already knowing what would come out of Nik's mouth, although Nik would not have said it so bluntly.