7.Missing (Keefe)

Hey Keepers! So sorry for the hiatus! Had exams... Enjoy! Hope you like the change in perspective!

I couldn't bear the thought of letting her go, but I knew that giving her some alone time was necessary. Deep down, I hoped that Alden's request for us to be friends would eventually bring us closer. Little did I know that I was falling for her, falling hard. Who could resist her charm? Sophie was not only beautiful on the outside but also possessed a kind heart, a sharp wit, and a unique spirit that set her apart from anyone else I knew.

Although she was smart, Sophie had been mistaken about one thing: we didn't hate her. I desperately wanted to make her understand that. So, after school, I decided to take matters into my own hands and headed towards Havenfield, her home. As I approached the elegant residence, an amber-haired woman named Edaline greeted me at the door.

"Hi, I'm Edaline. Can I help you?" she asked with a warm smile.

"Hello, Edaline. I'm Keefe. I'm a friend of Sophie's, and I was hoping to speak with her," I replied, trying to contain my nervousness.

Edaline's expression softened. "Oh, I thought she would be with her friends. Perhaps she's with Dex or Tam and Linh."

I sighed, realizing that I might have missed her again. "Oh, I see. Well, if she comes home, could you please let her know that I need to speak with her?" I handed Edaline a piece of paper with my phone number scribbled on it.

"Of course, Keefe. Is there anything urgent? It seems quite serious," Edaline inquired, her concern evident in her voice.

"Yes, it is," I admitted, feeling a lump form in my throat. I proceeded to explain the entire situation to Edaline, hoping she would convey the urgency of our conversation to Sophie. With that, I left Havenfield and made my way to the Vacker residence, Everglen.

Everglen had become more like home to me than Candleshade ever was. Fitz and Biana felt like my siblings, and Della and Alden had become the parental figures I had always yearned for. They cared about me more than my workaholic dad and my perpetually busy mom ever did. So, as I arrived at Everglen, I couldn't help but feel a sense of comfort and belonging wash over me.

I had spent about five hours with Fitz, engaging in our usual banter, when my phone rang, displaying an unknown number on the screen. I picked up the call cautiously.

"Hello," I greeted, trying to discern the identity of the caller.

"It's me, Edaline," a shaky voice muttered on the other end of the line.

My heart skipped a beat. "Is Fos—I mean, Sophie okay?" I asked, my concern pouring through my words.

Edaline's voice cracked with emotion. "I don't know. She hasn't come home yet. I've checked with all her friends, and she isn't with them either," she whispered, her tears evident.

Panic began to rise within me, but I had to stay composed for both Edaline's sake and Sophie's. "Oh, please don't cry, Mrs. Ruewen. Fitz, Biana, and I will do everything we can to find her," I assured her, hoping to provide some solace.

"Really? Thank you so much. Please let us know if you find her. If you don't within an hour, we'll call the police," Edaline said, her voice laden with a mix of gratitude and desperation.

I hung up the call and quickly gathered Fitz and Biana to relay the distressing news. Alden, sensing the urgency, offered to drive us in his vehicle. We decided to begin our search at Foxfire, hoping that Sophie might have sought solace within its walls. To our dismay, she was nowhere to be found. Anxiety gripped my heart as I realized how serious the situation had become. We couldn't waste any more time.

Reluctantly, we made the decision to involve the authorities and placed a call to the police. As we prepared to head back to Everglen, a sudden recollection struck me like a lightning bolt. Sophie had a tendency to seek refuge at the beach during tough times. Without a second thought, I voiced my revelation to the others, and together we veered off our intended route, racing towards the coastline.

The sun had begun its descent, casting a golden glow upon the ocean. We scoured the beach, calling out Sophie's name with mounting concern. Each step felt heavier than the last as the sinking feeling in my chest intensified. It was as if the air itself held its breath, waiting for the moment when we would find her.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, I spotted a figure on the sand. A wave of relief washed over me as I recognized Sophie, her shiny blonde hair now matted and stained crimson. My heart constricted, and I hurried towards her, my friends close behind.

"Sophie!" I called out, my voice laced with both relief and worry. I knelt beside her, gently brushing the hair away from her face. Her once vibrant eyes were closed, and her pale complexion sent a chill down my spine.

Tears welled up in Biana's eyes as she joined us, her voice trembling with concern. "Is she okay? What happened?"

I shook my head, my voice barely a whisper. "I don't know, but we need to get her help. We can figure out the rest later."

Fitz, his face etched with worry, reached for his phone to dial for medical assistance. As we awaited help, I held Sophie's hand tightly, silently willing her to open her eyes and let us know that she would be alright.