18. Mafioso Affairs

Third POV

It was rush in office. Even though it was late at night, everyone was as active as early morning. Almost hard to believe that they were offered to wrap up the 15-year-old case. The deal was to bury everything related to the case.

“Files are not even available.” The young man whose name was Charles complained. “I was in school at that time.” He whined.

“No time for complaint. This is a big fish. We have to finish it.” Charles's partner in crime, Will reminded his teammates.

“Mark Rogers backing that guy. If this comes out, we are dead.”

“If we safely close it then we will be rich,” Will yelled with excitement.

Excitement filled the room. Everyone wanted to have that money. They howled. Indeed, it was a bigger fish for them. None of them imagined this opportunity will land to them. But 15 years. 15 years is a big deal.

Files are vanished. Nothing is available. Only one man capable. The secret keeper, Mark Rogers-Schmidt. They have to steal it from Rogers security firm but how?

Cheating with the most powerful man believed, Mark Rogers, could be their death. But this risk was worth it. Still, not for long because the inquiry unit of Rogers firm have the habit of destroying a collection of files after every six months. The Audit team will catch all the missing information.

“I want to quit,” Charles announced. He knows his status. He is incapable of fighting against Mark Rogers, who plays dirty but, Mark Rogers-Schmidt, the mafia heir, plays dirtier.

“He is scared.” Will laughed and announced it to everybody. They all joined him. Having money to send children to private school, better health facilities, even a dream holiday for family was more important than Mafioso affairs.

The mafia families has secret. They are messed up; Just like every other family, but the power they possess is not like any other family.

“Yes, I am afraid. And you should be afraid of him too. We called him the secret keeper for a reason. The person who knows about your past, present.....and can even predict the future so accurately, is dangerous than death.” Charles explained them. He was right. They all knew but their future didn't matter, only the present was important because they will have the future only if they survive the present. And at the present moment, they all have a better opportunity to earn a better life. At least, a possibility.

“It means you are not afraid of death,” Will commented and pulled out his gun. “Death is an easier option. We usually consider death only if nothing is left. Trust me, Charles..... I have everything to fight for.”

“Two mafia families are involved. We can another promising opportunity, we all are still young. One is capable of destroying everything with a single word while the other is capable of giving life worse than death.” Charles tried to convince them but his mates has already chosen their side. They all are determined to take risk against both the Mafia families, for a better life. Nothing is personal for them but the personal interest of these two families are involved.

Ignored and dismissed, Charles was anxious. Not for himself but for his friends, his colleagues. They all are nothing and have already suffered worse. Life isn't fair. Once upon a time, Mark Rogers was one of them. Nothing but a bastard with no clue of his father by his dead mother and had a little girl to care for. But, today the table are turned now. Even those people are afraid of him who once used to treat him like a low being. Little did they knew, Mark Rogers is a Schmidt with Rogers blood in his veins.

“Not everyone has as lucky as Mark Rogers or Victor Garcia. Some are a victim, like Anthony... Remember Denver man. Even some are like Vincent, they have nowhere to go. This is the life, they have known.” Will tried to convince Charles, the only sniper among them.

The men in the room could understand the reason behind the fear of Charles. Truth to be told, they all are afraid. If this doesn't involve Mark Rogers, then they would have been relaxed with the outcome because for someone like them, death is easy but anyone who has a secret, it is a nightmare.

Defeated, Charles walked out of the office. This hall with a meeting table and computers that have scattered papers all over places, had his all the memories. They started with nothing. And assassination, robbery, supporting smuggling was their job.

This case is different from what they usually do and is risky, but the offered amount makes it worthy of all risk. Still Charles wasn't ready for this, he has to secure his girlfriend.

“When we are done with this case... We would be rich enough to start somewhere far from here.” He heard Molly approaching.

Clenching his jaw, he closed his eyes to relax himself.

“Relax.” He chanted “Congratulations... You accomplished your first solo mission.” Charles taunted her.

“It's not done yet. Her daughter-in-law is still alive. And the will of that lady....” Molly lit her cigarette. “You were trained with her.”

“And you think, you are capable to finish her.” He raised his eyebrows challenging Molly. “She's the best in our batch.”

“She's out of the practice.” Molly hissed.

He laughed. “Keep dreaming. You already killed the innocent old lady. She was harmless.”

“But she was the key of information. It was her son who discovered this. Lucky bastard is already dead otherwise the mission would have been difficult.”

“It is already difficult. Best are involved in this.” He snapped.

“They were best. Time changes.” Molly scowled and left.

He knew, his friends are desperate for a better life but one thing is for sure, better life is earned. They all are ready to destroy a family and have already finished one innocent family. That innocent family was doing their job.

Even his friends are doing their job, just the difference is they will destroy a family at the end. According to them, Mafioso Affairs are never personal, it is a business.

“They are at the club,” Will announced looking at me. He knew, this look. They doubt at his loyalty.

“I am shifting out of this city. I was never involved in this case, so I don't know anything.” He declared openly and walked out.

They have invited destruction at their door. He vowed that he will never discuss this anybody but he doesn't know what he will do, when Mark Rogers will find him. Since his family is indirectly involved.

Charles wished, is to be out of this mess.

Charles feared for his everything, and his weak heart almost exploded in his chest cavity when he witnessed Hunter Maxwell standing in front of him. Although Hunter looked calm, but he was close to the secret keeper. The good lad of Secret Keeper. It meant Mark Rogers is already involved, making it personal.