4. Summon the Devil

Sara's POV

“What do you want?” Thomas asked for the nth time. I have been trying to speak from the past half an hour but I fail to form a proper statement.

“I need a favour,” I said, increasing the pace of my swinging. It may seem weird but it is my meeting spot with Thomas. We met at the park where he brings his daughter to play.

“I know you need a FAVOUR but please be precise.” He mocked me, increasing his pace. He is copying me.

I scowled at him while he grinned adoring his daughter. I don't understand how his wife fall for him. I think He is so annoying. But he is good at what he does. Like his job.

“I want a piece of information about the head nurse at my hospital. I think.....”

“Rosalie?” He asked and I nodded waiting eagerly for his answer. “I am not Mark Rogers.”

“I don't want her life history. I just need a piece of information about her.” I clarified him, knowing that Mark Rogers is a man of his words. He wouldn't betray his terms. When he promised that he wouldn't interfere in someone else's matter until they are his family, everybody took it as a joke, but he was serious. He never interferes in anyone's life. And gathering information about anyone's life is a piece of cake for him. This is where his expertise is, despite owing a security firm. He is an expert in collecting information.

Mark Rogers claims, everything is about information. 90% of information and 10% of plan is the perfect formula of execution.

“That piece of information is found in her file. And I won't be stealing those file.” He explained like he's singing a song. Damn, I knew he is annoying.

“How do you know that, Mark Rogers has her file?”

“He is a secret keeper, not me. Rosalie would have been related to him or his family. Otherwise, he's never interested in a stranger's life.” He shrugged off.

“Listen, I work with her. I don't give a shit about her personal life until it has nothing to do with me.”

“We have an audience, lady.” He said with steer voice, indicating towards his daughter who was looking at me while sucking her thumb.

“She is ish petty.” This little brown hair girl giggled and run to her father to hid her chubby face in his stomach.

“She is a lot like her mother,” I expressed adoring her.

“How do you know?” He was in shock.

“Because you are not this attractive.” 

“Whatever.” He rolled his eyes. “Listen Sara... I know life has been hard for you but stop doubting everyone around you. Life could be beautiful. Peaceful.” He preached me before leaving.

Everybody just preaches me but it is hard to follow those wise words. It is pleasing to ears but hard to pursue. I don't have that perseverance.

I decided to walk back to home. Although, I am inquisitive to know about Rosalie but Thomas was right, her personal life is innocuous to me. She's a full-blooded woman. She can have sex as much as she wants.

“Dr Scott called for you. Check your email.” Mom informed me as soon as I entered. “I didn't bother myself, to inquire the intention for his call. I was too busy.”

“Yeah... Too busy while dreaming.” I teased her.

I already understood, I was called to deliver the news of my new duty hours. No one wants to work for that patient. No one knows who's there. But all I noticed that, that person is rich as hell. I noticed the guards roaming on that floor and flirting with other nurses. Even sometimes, I observe the movement of the stack of papers on the 6th floor of the hospital.

Phoning back with no one to receive the call, I checked my email. I found a schedule which belongs to patient, diet chart and an agreement.

Why?

The whole agreement was as thick as a novel but it was astonishing to see that they were making me sign a non-disclosure agreement. And without signing it, I can not join as the caretaker of Patient 648.

Taking the prints out, I read the agreement for hours while I skipped my dinner. I was determined to finish the agreement, which consists of nothing but some stupid terms. But most importantly, I was supposed to keep my mouth shut about whatever happens or I witnessed in that room.

Maybe celebrity trying to maintain their privacy.

Finally, I signed the non-disclosure agreement and packed so that I could give them personally. It was a sense of relief. I was excited as well as nervous. I could earn a huge amount of money. This will bring financial stability and then, in a few months I'll apply for adoption.

“You don't sleep neither you eat. How will you take care of a child?” Mom complained.

“I will prepare a routine and try to follow, once I am settled with this special patient,” I assured her.

“What is so special about this new patient?”

“I don't know... They will tell me tonight. “ I shrugged off.

I couldn't leave for the next one hour until I finished my meal. When I reached the locker room, Denise blocked my path and continued to glare me. She looked angry. And I was able to differentiate the emotion of disappointment, dancing on her face.

“I warned you.” She almost yelled at me. “Why did you sign that fucking agreement?”

“I need money.” I smiled. “I will be fine. Don't worry about me.”

“I am not worried. I am terrified. You still have time. Back. Out.”

“There is nothing to be terrified.”

“I am not kidding. He is not safe.”

“He?” I asked and looking around for audiences, she nodded. “So that patient is a he. I imagined a retired Hollywood celebrity.” I laughed.

“It's not funny.” She hit my arms and laughed with me. “Just stay strong.”

“I am strong.”

“Sara.....” Rosalie called.

The presence of our head nurse was new. She never come to see us. She never leaves her cabin, ordering us various duties.

“Good evening.” I faked a smile. “I hope, my schedule is ready.”

“I should have listened to me. And Denise.” Rosalie said with no expression but I could feel the storm inside her.

“What exactly you said?” I mocked her giving her the agreement.

“You summoned the Devil.” She gave a vicious smile.