It took Nari a second to realize that they didn't know who her brother was, and the power that he held. His immersion into mafia life must have been seamless if they hadn't figured it out by now.

     A little more hopeful now, Nari jutted her chin out, gazing steadily into her questioner's eyes. "I'm a member."

     There was a moment of silence. Then the girl began to laugh, seeming so thoroughly amused by the thought that Nari was kind of offended. The girl placed a hand over her mouth, swallowing the laughter that was bubbling over.

     "No, that's impossible," she gasped in a fit of hysterics, wiping her eyes. "There is no way that they would have allowed such a pitiful girl to join."

     Nari simply smirked, waiting for the girl to get over her high and mighty attitude and realize that she was serious. Eventually, she did note the sureity in Nari's gaze, the proud way she held her head as she said their name.

     "Ohhh, my dear little girl," the girl tutted, shaking her head. "You may have wanted to keep that to yourself. You heard your friend earlier, yes?"

     Teeth bared, Nari jerked forward, wanting nothing more than to punch the girl's nose straight into her skull.

     "I'll take that as a yes. Anyway, he wouldn't give us any details whatsoever about the workings of your gang. Not one security code, not one name," she said, resting her hands in her lap. "Even after several rounds. I have to admit, he's a strong one. So, what about you?"

     Nari gritted her teeth. "What about me?"

     The girl leaned forward, lips stretching in a sick smile. "Are you strong too?"

     Other than the slight trembling of her chin, Nari didn't move, didn't answer the girl. The inquisitor watched Nari keep her face empty, emotionless, but could still sense what was underneath despite her efforts.

     "Aww, you're scared," she cooed, stroking a finger down Nari's face. "Here, how about this. If you answer a few questions, we won't hurt you, and we'll let the both of you go."

     That was the emptiest lie Nari had ever heard. Still, the girl waited patiently for her answer, eyes oozing confidence, knowing that she had Nari exactly where she wanted her.

     Nari tilted her head and smiled cheerfully, eyes gleaming up at the expectant girl.

     "Fuck you."

     The light in the girl's eyes blew out, and her mouth opened slightly, not at all having expected that response. She stood angrily and kicked her chair to the ground, raising a hand in a blur to backhand Nari across the face, her head whipping to the side.

     As Nari groaned, the girl collected herself, pulling her hair back from her face as she panted. Her gaze was full of resentment as she side eyed her prisoner. "I hope you enjoy pain, then."

     After those words, she stalked out of the room, slamming the door on her way out. With her now gone, Nari allowed herself to break a little, just enough so that she wouldn't have to later. She let out a breathy whine of pain, already feeling the side of her face begin to swell.

     A new pair of footsteps sounded down the hallway, and Nari sniffed, closing her eyes and preparing her mind for what was to come. She could do this, she could get through this.

     The door swung open again, and a slow, heavy gait approached her, the person obviously trying to psyche her out with their entrance.

     But Nari was ready. She would risk her life, endless agony and all, to save her family. She wouldn't give them a wisp of information. She would be strong, like Jeongin was.

     The new arrival stepped around until they were smack in front of her, their legs brushing her own. The person's rough hands went to rest on her knees, still-drying blood staining them. Nari clenched her teeth, eyes trained on the dark liquid to remind herself of whom it had just been taken from.

     The person knelt to the floor, heavy body sinking down slowly to Nari's level. She dug her nails into her palms, savoring the pain as it forced her to focus, keep her face devoid of emotion. A deep chuckle sounded from above her head, and she mentally froze, recognizing the timbre of the voice.

     Though she didn't want to, Nari gradually lifted her head, making eye contact with the man sitting in front of her. The man who had brought her here.

     "Well, well," he whispered, inky gaze running over her face, her body, unabashedly leering. Nari felt disgusted, but kept her eyes on him, refusing to give in to his dirty intimidation.

     "Let's play, shall we?"

if you see the book updating a lot it's only because i'm putting this banner in every chapter haha

hope you enjoyed♡♡