fifty six.

Nari's eyes widened as her gaze landed on the man standing in the doorframe.

Woojin uncomfortably shifted, licking his lips nervously as he was stared down by his ex members slowly wandering toward the door. "I'm not here to come inside, or to talk. I'm just here to thank you."

He turned suddenly, motioning for someone to come to him. A small boy, probably eight years old, scampered towards him, hiding in his arms as he shyly looked up at the others with wide eyes.

"This is Duri, my little brother."

Chan pursed his lips, smiling softly at the boy. "Hi Duri," he rasped out, clearing his throat.

"I know I kept him a secret from all of you, and I thought I was doing him a favor by putting him in a group home, somewhere he'd never see me again. Our parents have obviously been gone for a while, and my field isn't the type that's kind to kids," he said, rumpling Duri's hair.

"But in spite of what I did, even though it was for him, you put aside your hurt and anger to help me get him back. To give those kids their lives back. I can't - "

He stopped, looking down at his small brother before making eye contact with Chan. "I owe you our lives. He's here in my arms right now because of you. Thank you."

Woojin released his brother and knelt, putting his face to the ground in a full bow. Nari glanced at Duri and smiled faintly at the confused look he was giving his big brother.

He stood slowly, teetering as Duri leaned back into his arms. "You'll never see me again, but I had to thank you in person and give you my respect. I'm parting from you a grateful man," he finished, bowing again before taking his brother's hand and walking away, interlocked hands swinging.

"Goodbye," Chan called after him hoarsely, watching the two disappear into the afternoon light.

° ° °

     The door slammed shut, echoing through the house. No one knew what to say, and Nari tugged at her shirt while she waited for someone to break the silence.

     "Well, that's that," Seungmin commented, sitting on the couch with a bowl of hot cheetos, his dirty clothing smearing on the couch. "What should we watch tonight?"

The complete change in attitude threw Nari for a loop, and she quizzically glanced between Seungmin and the others to gauge their reactions.

     "Seungmin. You're. Still. Dirty. Get off the couch now," Minho growled, racing and chasing Seungmin around the floor in his wheelchair.

     The tension was shattered and a laugh bubbled up in Nari's throat as she watched them. Hyunjin bumped her hip with his, eyes lingering on her lips.

     "I'm gonna go get cleaned up too, wait for me?" he asked, nodding towards the couch. "You should sit and eat something."

     "I'll try and scrounge something up for everyone," Nari agreed, bringing a hand up to ruffle the hair at the base of her boyfriend's neck.

     He grinned and brought his mouth down to her ear, palms sliding up her arms as he realized who's shirt she was wearing. "We can go upstairs to rest if it's too loud down here for you."

√ 𝐸𝑓𝑓𝑒𝑟𝑣𝑒𝑠𝑐𝑒𝑛𝑡 // 𝐻𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑔 𝐻𝑦𝑢𝑛𝑗𝑖𝑛On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara