twenty eight.

Silence fell like a massive blanket of snow, muffling any sound that tried to escape from beneath it.

     Nari's free hand went to her mouth as her tears began to fall, plinking lightly onto the wood floor in a small shower.

     Pained, Chan watched her as she brought the hand holding Hyunjin's to her chest, clutching it like the pressure could erase the ache in both of their hearts. She let out a small sob, craning her neck down to the floor as stray hairs fell into her face.

     "I talked him out of it that night," Chan continued quietly. "He came back to my house at the time and he met some of the others. By that time I had already met Woojin, Minho, Jisung, and Seungmin. When we all got together and shared our stories... something clicked."

     Nari looked around the room, watching the boys stroll down their dark memory lane. Some had tears in their eyes as well, but small, gentle smiles were stretching across the other's.

     "I think we all knew. We were family. A bunch of strays picked off of the streets, unwanted and battered by the world we had once thought we were unstoppable in."

     He cut off to catch his breath, steadying himself on the desk with unstable hands. "The next one we were able to save was Changbin. Then Felix. Jeongin a few months ago. And now you," Chan laughed shakily, addressing the girl in front of him. "All of us have been able to heal together, and find family together."

     Seungmin, who's eyes were a tad too watery to be able to use the "dust in his eyes" excuse, tentatively stepped forward to gain Chan's attention. "I know this a a tender moment and all, but can you explain why Sicarius is after us now?"

     The leader's eyes sharpened and he ran a hand through his curly hair, deep in thought. "Yes. So, Hyunjin was one of their best recruits a few years ago, yes? And he killed, without any other member being able to detect him, one of the biggest bosses of the ring, yes?"

     Slowly, the members all nodded with him, save Hyunjin, who's gaze stayed intensely focused on the floor.

     "They don't just let someone walk away from things like that. They... they want to kill him."

     Nari squeezed her eyes shut, wishing she could do the same with her ears. If only she could block out the terrible things she was hearing, they wouldn't be true.

     "Sicarius issued an announcement and reward for anyone who could bring him in. And only around this area. Which is why I'm confused."

     Jeongin nervously shoved his hands in his pockets, trying to keep a frightened expression off of his face. "Confused? Why?"

       "Because they've tried to find him before. But we've been smart enough to track their movements and evade their searches. We've dodged them for all this time and they were beginning to let up the search in Korea. The fact that they came back so hot and heavy can only mean one thing."

     No one asked him what he meant, waiting for him to speak again with baited breath.

     Chan got to his feet and stretched his arms behind him, cracking his knuckles as he got comfortable against the desk. "They got a tip that he was still here."

     "Jisoo," Nari blurted out, on the verge of panting from anxiousness. "Do you think she would have gone to them?"

     Chan tilted his head and chewed on his lip, running through the possibilities in his mind. "She can't have if she works for your brother. They would have found out about the interaction and taken her into custody. I haven't heard anything from Taeyong."