prologue.

Date: Classified

Time: Classified

Location: Classified

Even though the midnight sky was only dusted with clouds, rain pattered steadily down onto the battered ledge's overhang. This part of the city wasn't exactly friendly, causing the streets to be empty. The flickering of old streetlamps and whistling wind gave an almost apocalyptic aura to the night.

A hooded figure sat patiently on edge of the twentieth floor of an abandoned furniture factory, waiting for his leader's signal. As he watched, an anxious man exited the office building he was currently monitoring, glancing around as if trying not to be seen.

Without missing a beat, the boy's ear was filled with static. Through his earpiece came an authority-filled voice marked by a strong Australian accent.

"Hyunjin. Go."

That was all the incentive the young adult needed. He expertly scaled down the building with nothing but his sheer strength and gloved hands as support. In less than a minute, he had made it to the bottom. As light as a cat, he dropped to the ground, melting into the shadows as he began to follow the fearful man. His boots made no sound as he ran, and his keen eyes never lost sight of their target.

Not bothering to slow down, the boy touched his earpiece. "Felix, are you ready?"

A deep, deep voice with the same accent as before replied, "Whenever you are, mate. Chan, we're on his tail."

Their leader hummed his reply into the system. Hyunjin waited a few seconds, then glanced over his shoulder - a slight shape against the wall of one building confirmed that Changbin had his back.

Turning back to his target, the boy slid an object out of one of his many holsters and picked up his pace.

The man seemed to sense his presence and whirled around like a deer in the headlights. With a panicked cry he stumbled into a nearby alley - which was exactly where the team wanted him.

Hyunjin smirked to himself and gave Changbin a slight signal with a flick of his hand. Immediately, the older boy appeared at his shoulder. "Ready?" he asked. A nod was Hyunjin's reply. He reached up to his mic again.

"Are Minho and Jisung in position?" Hyunjin asked.

"In position," Woojin, the eldest, confirmed over the system.

Leisurely, the boys made their way to the entrance of the alley. The curtains of sparkling water falling made it hard to see very far ahead, but both boys could make out the figure of the man from the office desperately turning around, just now realizing he was at a dead end. As he caught sight of them, the man pressed himself back against the brick walls, head darting around, trying to find an exit, an escape, anything.

Hyunjin and Changbin waited. Slowly, five more figures emerged from the damp shadows, standing with the two boys. The man cowered back, openly sobbing.

One figure, wearing all black, weapons of every sort strapped to his body, broke off from the group and strolled all the way to the frightened man. His members followed at a distance. The boy in front kneeled down to where the man was crouched in fear.

A veiny hand pushed his hood back and revealed a messy, curly mop of blonde hair and hooded brown eyes. His ears were pierced dozens of times, and a scar streaked through one eyebrow.

The boy opened his thick lips in a sickening smile. "Hello."

His accent curled seductively around the word, as if he wanted to take his time and savour every syllable. "I think you know why we're here. You shouldn't have tampered with gangs, mate. Mafias are always sticky business," he chuckled, his breath curling up into the air.

Then he paused, his expression growing dark. He leaned his mouth down to the man's ear. "Too little, too late, I'm afraid. You shouldn't have messed with us."

He leaned back and stood, nodding to the tallest member. Hyunjin palmed the object he had pulled out earlier and let it glint in the streetlamps.

As he stalked towards the man and put the gun to his forehead, Chan spoke again in a whisper.

"You shouldn't have messed with Stray Kids."