forty four.

The energy in the van relaxed after Minho finished extracting Jisung's blood and hooked the drip bag to Chenle's arm, the most dangerous part over with as the blood slowly entered his fragile system.

     Stripping off his blood-flecked gloves, Minho blew out a shaky breath, legs wobbling as he sat next to Mark on the cool floor. The NCT member watched him warily as he steadied his breathing,  swallowing dryly as he began to relax.

     Mark got to his feet and reached for a small compartment at the front of the van, pulling out several water bottles for the wiped out passengers. After doling them out to the others, he extended one to Minho, eyebrows creasing with empathy as the drained boy's eyes landed on it.

     "Drink some water, dude. You'll feel way better."

     Weary, but still grateful, Minho accepted the bottle with limp hands, unscrewing the cap before guzzling half the water in seconds. He stopped to catch his breath while Mark plopped down next to him, the back of the his hand passing over his lips to wipe off the excess moisture.

     On the other side of the van, Chan appraised  his member, running a careful eye over Minho's current state. "Are you okay? Should you treat Jeongin and Nari now?"

     Neck stiff, Minho shook his head, wincing as the action caused hot pain to spike through his body. "There's no need, they'll be fine until we get to the house."

     Jeongin shifted slightly against Chan, eyes turning up in agreement. "He's right, we'll be okay."

     A tender smile graced Chan's lips as he patted Jeongin's hair endearingly, the boy falling back into sleep only moments later.

     Mark surveyed the vehicle, gauging how his own members were doing. Next to Hyunjin, Taeyong was leaning down next to his sister, their exchanged whispers unintelligible but full of light banter.

     His gaze shifted over then, towards the boy who's life was on the line, the essence of his friend's veins slowing seeping into him. Jisung hadn't left his spot next to Chenle, his hand still clutching his friend's smaller one, even as it caused his aching arm to throb in pain.

     The entire scene was grim, but somehow brought warmth to Mark's chest. Because he could now rest assured that they were going to make it; every single person there was a fighter, and in no way would they allow themselves to lose a single thing to the hands of their enemies.

     It was going to be okay, at least for now.

°   °   °

Woojin's p.o.v.

     Chaos buzzed around him as a nurse quickly patched up his seeping, injured leg.

     Woojin blew out a strangled breath, casting his eyes over the nurse's shoulder as the loud rumble of voices carried on in the hallway.

     In an effort to appear as though he had been attacked, Woojin had dragged himself away from where he had shot himself, several rooms down from where Nari's had been. It had only taken Hana a few minutes to find him, demanding that he tell her where their enemies had gone, completely ignoring the blood that was pooling beneath his body.

     She had pursued after the intruders with her team, leaving him in excruciating pain on the cold floor. Even now, Hana paid him no mind as she paced in the hall, teeth gritted as she spoke into her phone, her empty hand clenching tightly in frustration.