forty one.

Minho was frozen with surprise, unmoving as Jeongin cried inconsolably into his shirt, staining his shoulder with abundant tears. The older boy was baffled, the outburst entirely unlike Jeongin.

     "J-jeongin," Minho stuttered, taking hold of the boy's shoulders and stepping away from the hug, peering into his eyes with concern. "Are you saying... "

     "He's gone," Jeongin reaffirmed, his teeth starting to chatter, the weightiness of the situation causing his hands to shake.

     At a loss, Minho looked at Chan, seeking some form of guidance in the situation. Their leader seemed just as stumped, eyes heavy as he considered leaving without the eldest.

     "Please," Jeongin pleaded, tears welling as he recognized Chan's hesitancy. "We need to go, please."

     His words, full of desperation, yet so full of certainty too, convinced Hyunjin. It had been tickling the back of his mind after what Nari had said, but now he was sure. Something was wrong, and they needed to leave.

     "He's right," Hyunjin agreed, the surprised gazes of his members falling on him. "Nari said something similar. Maybe they're right, maybe he isn't here."

     Lips pursed, Chan brought a hand to his mouth, rubbing his chin in thought. The mere thought of leaving before all of their members were out of danger absolutely terrified him, and he wanted to do the exact opposite of that. But something in Jeongin's eyes, and the way Hyunjin spoke about Nari's words... Chan could sense it too. Something wasn't right.

     He sighed harshly, dragging a hand through his tangled locks. "Okay... okay. Let's move out. Once we reach the tunnel, tell the others to retreat," Chan mentioned to Taeyong, who nodded and tapped his fingers nervously on his phone.

     Everyone made sure their weapons were accessible, pulling themselves up and preparing to begin their escape. Chan glanced at Nari, who was immobile against Hyunjin's chest.

     "Are you okay with carrying her?" he asked, noting that Taeyong was also watching for Hyunjin's response.

     In answer, the boy tightened his grip on the girl, causing her to mutter unconscious nonsense and curl her hand around one of Hyunjin's fingers like a baby.

     Taeyong nodded his approval and slipped a gun out, checking the mag quickly as Mark grasped the doorknob, eyes darting around the room.

     "Ready?" he whispered, fingers twisting the door open. When no one said any different, he swung the door open, checking behind his back and then his front, the barrel of his gun at the ready. "All clear."

     Chan exited second, waving the others out as he and Mark kept watch. Hyunjin made sure not to jostle Nari, her slumber becoming fitful as they started to move.

     "Okay, we need to go down from this hall and - "

     The harsh squeak of a shoe made them all freeze, the boys' weapons shooting up as they faced the threat. But Chan dropped his almost immediately, gasping in confusion as he saw who was standing there.

     Woojin's eyes were wide, flitting across their group as he stood awkwardly in mid-step. His mouth gaped, attempting to form some kind of sound but failing. Face faltering, Chan stepped closer to the older boy.

     "Woojin? What... "

     His voice fizzled out as he spotted a card in Woojin's hand, one meant to be used for accessing certain buildings and doors. As his eyes landed on the card's insignia, they shut tightly, hands fisting as he realized what Nari and Jeongin had meant.