Chapter 15

(Sora above)

Sara was completely out of breath when she reached the bottom of Ravenhill. She could hear the battle roaring behind her and above her, Azog's voice calling out orders to his men on what to signal to the troops. Sara knew that because it took her thirty full minutes to get this far, she only had about ten extra to get in position before Thorin arrived with backup. Reaching to her bag, she drew out her pistol and made sure it was fully loaded with the remaining three bullets before sticking it into her belt against her back. Next, she drew out the extra jacket she brought in case it was cold and golly it was! Pulling it on, she buttoned it up and then rolled her bag up in a ball, placing it behind a large rock and covering it with stones so it wouldn't get in her way.

She then proceeded to quietly climb the steep incline to the frozen river and lake above, keeping her eyes and ears open for orcs or Azog. She had just slipped to the ledge that looked up at the top of Ravenhill when she heard a battle cry below and the sound of yak hooves... Thorin, Fili, Kili and Dwalin!

She sighed and ran her fingers over her covered stomach fondly, "It's okay babies. Daddy will be here soon, and everything will be okay."

"Sara?" a voice asked from behind her.

Sara looked over her shoulder and all the broken pieces of her heart reassembled and healed back together at the sight behind her. There stood Thorin, wearing just his pants, boots and the navy blue jacket Bard had given him. Sara could see the little stitch marks where Nori had woven mithril into the fabric. Good!

Thorin's face was one of shock, surprise, joy, pain, hope and smitten adoring love. He was panting slightly and Orcrist was black with blood but he was unharmed. Sara couldn't even breathe out his name but instead let out what sounded like a mixture of a cry and a gasp. Spinning around, she rushed to Thorin and the dwarf had just enough time to open his arms when Sara flung herself at him, arms wrapping around his neck, hands weaving into his black hair, nose buried in his neck and chest shaking with joyous sobs. Thorin's strong arms encased her and his face found refuge buried in her red curls.

"I thought I lost you," Thorin choked, clutching her close.

"You never lost me... I was just waiting for you to throw down your crown and find yourself," Sara said, pulling away to cup his cheeks, watching as tears sprung to his blue eyes and trickled down his cheeks.

"How did you know I threw..." Thorin began but then smiled, "Oh right... you already knew."

"Well I was still afraid," Sara admitted, feeling tears prick her eyes, "I was afraid you wouldn't overcome it like in the story... I thought... I thought I had failed and..."

Thorin cut off her tearful rantings, grasping her cheeks, "no, no, no! If anything, I failed you both as a husband and as the father of our children. I should have listened and been stronger for you. I love you so much and I failed you. Forgive me..."

Sara let out a sobbing laugh before crushing her lips to his, their tears mingling upon their lips as they caught up on all that they had been deprived of for days.

"Are you..." Thorin whispered, almost nervously, "Are you really with child?"

Sara smiled and taking Thorin's large hands, placed them over her rounded womb, "not with child... but with children."

Thorin's head snapped up to look at her and his eyes glowed while a huge grin broke across his face, "Two of them!?"

Sara barely nodded before Thorin swept her up into his arms while he showered her lips, neck, nose, cheeks and forehead with kisses. Finally setting her down, pressing a chaste kiss to her lips, he held her gently by the waist.