Chapter 3

Sara tried to keep herself calm when Gandalf opened the door to reveal the dwarf who stood there. Sara was glad that the dwarves hid her from sight or someone would have noticed the huge grin that spread across her face at the sight of the one and only Thorin Oakenshield.

Sara was glad that she had been taught to have self restraint in her childhood or she would have screamed for joy at the sight of the dark haired dwarf. When the dwarf turned his noble head to look at Gandalf, Sara felt all the air escape her.

"Gandalf," THorin remarked, Sara grinning widely at the familiar baritone voice. "I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way twice. I wouldn't have found it at all if it had not been for that mark on the door."

"Mark?" Bilbo asked, "There is no mark on that door it was painted a week ago!"

Gandalf closed the door behind him and smiled at the halfling, "There is a mark, I put it there myself."

From Sara's position behind the dwarves, she couldn't be seen but she could see everything. She watched as THorin removed his leather cloak and smile at Kili. She felt her heart soar at the smile that appeared on his face. One thing that Sara had always admired about the character Thorin (wasn't exactly just a character anymore!) was his strong bond with his nephews.

"Bilbo Baggins allow me to introduce the leader of our company," Gandalf continued as THorin handed his cloak to Kili, "Thorin Oakenshield."

"So, this is the hobbit," THorin mused, considering Bilbo with crossed arms, "Tell me mister Baggins have you done much fighting?"

"Pardon me?" Bilbo asked, startled by the question.

"Axe or sword," Thorin continued, "What's your weapon of choice?"

"Well we have some skill at concors if you must know," Bilbo remarked sarcastically "But I fail to see why that's relevant."

THorin smirked, "Thought as much. Looks more like a grocer than a burglar."

With that, the dwarf prince turned towards the dining hall, following the others in. Sara was about to make her way back to the sitting room when Gandalf reached over and patted her shoulder, smiling at her.

Their presence would have gone unnoticed if Thorin's senses weren't so acute. Sara was suddenly shocked when Thorin froze in the doorway and slowly turned as if he had heard something. He turned all the way and Sara knew there was no hiding now. She was glad for the hood that she had on her leather dress so it concealed most of her face except her mouth.

THorin's pale blue eyes locked on her and Sara felt her heart freeze. Months ago if she had watched the Hobbit and imagined herself there, she would have been thrilled to meet THorin for real.... but now.... looking into his blue eyes she suddenly felt nervous, unsure and scared.

The dwarf strode over to them and Sara swallowed, realizing that she only came up to Thorin's shoulder. Curse short genes!

The dwarf looked down at her and Sara had never imagined feeling small compared to a dwarf but she did. She felt so small, helpless and useless as THorin's eyes glared down at her. She could barely take in his sharp features, jet black hair, straight nose, firm mouth and attire without feeling her blood run cold.

"Who is this?" THorin asked, his voice showing no warmth just like when he had spoken to Bilbo but the humor and amusement was gone.

"This is a friend of mine," Gandalf explained. "Who will be the perfect asset to the company."

Thorin crossed his arms and eyed the girl, "And how is that?"

Gandalf mentally smacked himself for leading to Thorin possibly finding out Sara's secret.