Chapter 9

When Sara was awake, she was not nearly as surprised at her environment as she should have been, but then again, it wasn't every day that you knew that when you woke up, you would be falling into the depths of an underground city inhabited by goblins.

That was the plus side of things. The downside of it was that while it looked rather dangerous and painful in the movie, it had never dawned on Sara how much it would actually hurt to be hurdling down a stone shoot and then to land atop and amidst a pile of large dwarves who, while they barely beat you in height, definitely outweighed you almost four fold in some of their cases.

This harsh reality was what Sara discovered when she found her arms and legs battered and bruised, the knees of her pants having ripped, and the skin scraped till it bled. For some magic reason, her hands were untouched, mostly because when she had started to fall, she had curled up in a ball to keep herself from having any of her limps slammed off her body by the impact and had kept her hands close against her chest.

The first thing that popped into her mind once she managed to suck in a breath of air even though her ribs were straining to hold up the weight of a certain large dwarf by the name of Gloin, was that she had forgotten to grab her backpack!

Looking around, she saw that most of their supplies had landed underneath them and she scrambled to look for her bag. She knew that the goblins would take their things, so she had to work fast. When her hand finally landed on the rough leather bag, she pulled it from where it was stuck beneath Bombur's behind. Opening the flap, she hastily grabbed her notebook and the other small contents, shoving them down the neck of her white shirt. After this was done, she pulled her leather jacket closer around her and buttoned it up the front, hoping that it would hide the slight bulge that her belongings made in her shirt.

She tossed the bag to the side but not before ensuring that her pistol was well hidden in her boot. And just in time too for she heard the screech of goblins and swallowed with dread.

Being petite wasn't the only issue as she was hauled to her feet. She could barely see thanks to her forgetting to braid her hair before sleep so her hair was all in her face and she couldn't even get a second to brush it away as one of the goblins grabbed her wrist and dragged her along.

It reminded her of all those mornings when Omar and Ryder would wake her up on the mornings of her birthday and would blindfold her before carefully maneuvering her downstairs to where the rest of the family had prepared a surprise birthday breakfast.

Needless to say, her brothers were not always careful of where they were leading Sara and quite a few times she came downstairs with a bruise on her forehead from her brothers having failed to notice her walking straight into a wall. Now that Sara thought about it, she would gladly have a thousand bruises on her face than having to be led blindly along a not so stable path to the one place that Sara wished she had missed in the journey to the Lonely Mountain.

When Sara finally came to a stop, the goblins released her arms and she quickly rubbed them to get rid of the horrible, grubby feeling that their hands had left behind on her wrists. Finally, with her hands free, she brushed her hair out of her eyes to find herself face to face with a headful of dwarf hair.... Oh... it was Fili.

The young dwarf was scanning everyone around him till his eyes rested on the girl behind him and his face seemed to relax in relief, having been looking for her.

"You alright?" he whispered, wrapping an arm around her and keeping her partially hidden behind his body.

Sara nodded, "Not so bad considering where we are, who we're captured by and how little sleep I got last night."
Fili chuckled at that before quickly removing his cloak and wrapping it around her, pulling the hood up, "Don't let them know that you're a girl."