Chapter Eight | A

My arms flew into the air as my feet slid sideways. Pin- wheeling, I jerked backward, and after a harrowing moment was able to regain my balance on drier ground. Relief swept through me and I went to draw in a breath to calm myself. My hands went to my neck and I doubled over, heaving in panic. Darn it all, if I hadn't just lodged the wad of gum in my windpipe.

Oh crap! I clawed at the outside of my throat, green vision starting to spot. I staggered to my left, feet dangerously nearing the puddle—when out of nowhere something hit me from behind like a ton of bricks. It knocked me to the floor, dislodging the gum and leaving me gasping. Yep, this day had managed to find a way to become that much lamer. Kudos to it.

Lungs still on fire but thankfully filling with air now, I lifted my head. Blinking, I realized that everything was solid again; the green was gone. The wad of gum was over yonder on the floor and there was a book bag nearby. Okay, so I'd been hit by books rather than bricks. A shower of glitter from my shirt surrounded me on the mall floor.

"Are you okay?"

I propped myself up on an elbow to see a young man sitting hunched forward. His hand was on his back, rubbing where he too had apparently hit the ground. I eyed him with timid curiosity. Longish, ash-colored hair obscured his face.

"Um, yes," I managed, voice breathless, still focused on his hair. It was trimmed into layers and cropped at the neck, styled as if it were the human version of a lion's mane.

His posture straightened, and he peered at me through the wild tangles before sending it backward with a toss of his head. "I am so sorry. I didn't mean to knock you down."

I shrugged at his realization that we were both on the ground, flinching when I chose to move the wrong shoulder. He was instantly on his feet, standing over me as if my arm had just fallen off.

"I'm okay, really," I insisted, flushing at his intense concern. "I'm just an incredible klutz is all, and I-I..." I paused in awe when he bent closer, finding that I could hardly breathe as I took in his eyes. Such color. So profoundly rich that it bypassed blue altogether. He has amethyst eyes.

His lips moved, and I blinked, trying to remember how to decipher the English language. He might have asked "Are you okay?" again, but I didn't know for certain. So what came out of my mouth next was the automatic response I gave when the issue of my well- being was brought into question: "I'm fine."

Frowning, he replied, "How can you be fine when I just knocked you down?"

"I am, really," I said, watching his eyes blink. "Do you have contacts in?" I blurted. Oh well, so much for tact.

"No. This is my natural color." He tilted his head and touched the corner of one eye.

"Oh," was my lame response. Letting my eyes slide shut, my face warmed with embarrassment. Jeez, I must sound like such a half- wit.

I peeked out from beneath my lashes and spied the boy studying me. A bemused expression—actual interest—flowed across his handsome face. And he was very good looking, in a way that left me aching self-consciously.

I glanced over at the gum on the floor. "Um, thank you, for the Heimlich-tackle maneuver. While I don't believe the tackle part is standard, it still proved to be quite effective." Something about the sudden jolt of it had also fixed my vision.

"It's not a problem. Really," he responded as he crouched beside me. The sincerity in his words warmed the back of my throat when I swallowed. "But if I had a chance to do it over, I would try my best not to knock you down." He smiled widely then, amethyst eyes exuding a kindheartedness as he extended his hand to me. "Can I help you up, little one?"