🇳🇿MELBOURNE

Abella
Melbourne, Australia

Finally it's race day and I'm strolling, in my red Ferrari uniform, to the hospitality to grab a coffee. 'one macchiato please' I say to the woman behind the canteen stalls. She nods, putting on a wide, energised smile which vastly betrays the deep bags under her eyes, somewhat concealed with makeup. I bet she's exhausted, she's most likely been here since the early hours of the day, making coffees for each one of the hundreds of people that pass through the building. Probably more busy than usual, due to it being the first race of the season. Yesterday in qualifying Seb had come fourth with Charles behind in fifth, therefore all the engineers will be on full throttle, already making plans to adapt the car even further for future races. I take my beverage, thanking the woman and I set off to the garage to see what's going on.

As soon as I enter it's like a busy motorway, a mass sea of red, racing around the cars which are sat shining in the Australian sun. Not yet having an official role in the team, I pull up a chair in the corner, away from the rush. Sitting down I fish my laptop out of my bag and begin typing up notes on the practice and the qualifying laps performed by both drivers, highlighting areas which could be improved. Writing notes on Seb is significantly more difficult than Charles at this stage, as it is the first time I've analysed his drive. Whereas I have watched Charles race for years, and know his personal strengths and weaknesses without the car inside out.

A few hours later Lorenzo finds me talking to a few engineers about Charles' car, and strides over to me, to tell me firmly that I need to leave the garage as the race is to start soon. I catch Sebastian just before he enters his drivers room, I wish him good luck and request he repeats the same message to Charles for me if he gets the chance.

After waiting, not so patiently, for me outside, Lorenzo leads me up to a private stand overlooking the track, sits down behind me, and begins reading more of his mystery documents. Ignoring his presence, I walk up to the edge of the viewing tower putting my hands on the cool rail and breath in the fresh air. I look down to see the cars lining up, each driver approaching their car and getting strapped in.

After a formation lap, they sit in their respective positions on the grid and wait for the lights to start, signalling their countdown. I wait in anticipation as I see the lights flash red, five, four, three, two, one. Lights out. The cars roar to life in an attempt to make the jump across the line, the sound of the engines like music to my ears.

At the end of the race, Bottas is in first, Hamilton in second and Max in third, with Seb in fourth and Charles in fifth. A steady start to the season for Ferrari. I leave Lorenzo, who hasn't looked up from his papers once, behind and I run down to the podium in order to get a space.

The ceremony takes place and I join the rest team where they are standing, getting a better view. Once the champagne has been sprayed and the anthems are sounded, everyone starts to migrate away. I take this opportunity to leave too, practically swimming through the waves of people.

Walking back through the paddocks, I decompress my excitement from the weekend and take my time to let my body relax. I look up from my feet and immediately a pair of green eyes find mine in the crowd. I smile and pick up my pace, making my way towards him, but I am stopped by a hand on my shoulder and our eye connection is lost.

'Hey' Max says giving me a quick side hug 'did you enjoy the race?'

Caught off guard I search my brain for an answer. 'Yea it was great!' I exclaim my mind getting less foggy, 'congratulations to you too, you did great'

'Thanks' he replies with a wide smile 'I'm glad you enjoyed it'. He suddenly perks up 'are you coming to the party tonight?'

'Oh err no. I don't think I was invited' I awkwardly chuckle, as if a nobody like me would get an invite to a party full of formula one drivers.

'You can be my plus one then' he says putting a hand on my shoulder 'I'll text you the time and address'. His phone starts to ring and he turns to sprint into his garage before shouting 'I'll see you there' behind him.

Later on, I am still at the Ferrari garage helping the team put everything back into storage and get it all packed up. Lorenzo had told me earlier that I could leave whenever I wanted, but it felt wrong not to lend an extra hand so I stayed. I didn't realise there were so many boxes, they are piled up high like mountains.

I help to pile the boxes into the moving lorries, while the rest of the crew, who have the knowledge i don't, put the right things in the right crates. As I bend over to pick up one of the red boxes, my injured hand gets caught and part of the healed over scab is ripped off. I let out a cry of pain, clutching it with my other hand. 'baiser ça fait mal!'

I hear a pair of footsteps running over to me and I wipe my watering eyes, not wanting a member if the team to see me crying already. Someone picks up the box I dropped and places it among the rest. They approach me and guide me to the edge of a wall to sit down, I am in too much pain to open my eyes. They put a delicate hand on my knee and ask 'Est-ce que ça va?'.
(are you okay?)

I recognise their voice and my eyes shoot open 'Charles?' I look down to see him staring up at me from his crouched position. His brown hair is tousled as his green eyes peer at me in worry. 'I'm okay' I smile at him reassuringly and he lets out an audible breath.

'That's good. How did you hurt your hand? And when?' He questions.

'I fell over a few days ago' I admit my face turning a dark crimson from embarrassment. He chuckles shaking his head and moves his other hand to push a stray, dark lock of hair behind my ear. His hand hovers next to my jaw before he takes it away, exhaling then staring down at the ground. I instantly miss the warmth of his hand next to my face, and I rack my brain for something else to focus my thoughts on. 'Are you going to that party?'

He raises his head to look at me, standing up to his full height. 'Yea, I am. How do you know about that?'

'Max invited me'

'Oh' he says sounding a little deflated. 'I can drive you there if you like'

'That would be great. Saves me paying for a taxi' I joke, looking back at him to find him watching me intently. 'You did so well in the race today by the way. Considering it was your first with Ferrari. I felt so proud' I tell him.

'You're too good to me Bella' he smiles to himself, clearly lost in thought. 'But we better head out otherwise we will be late to that party'.

Hey guysss here's another update, I love the innocence between these two can't wait for it to develop more. Also there's so much going on in the F1 world rn which is so exciting, Mick Schumacher in a seat for 2021! George driving for Mercedes in the next GP! how did we get so lucky?? Anyways I hope you all enjoy :))

and yes I have been wacking out the Xmas music this week ;)🎄