🇮🇹MARANELLO

Abella
Maranello, Italy

I'm awoken by the bright sun streaming through the windows onto my face. I squint my eyes, rolling sideways to sit up, falling onto the floor. Ouch. Disoriented I look around my room, only to realise I'm not in my room at all. Instead I'm now splayed on the patterned rug of Charles' lounge floor. To add to my current shock, when I finally achieve sitting upright I am met with Charles' face adjacent to my own on the sofa. Thankfully he's asleep, saving me from horrific embarrassment. I wonder for a moment how I had got here, before the dvd case of Stand By Me catches the corner of my eye on the coffee table. Suddenly the memories of last night come flooding back and I realise I must have fallen asleep on the sofa. With Charles. Getting up, I wander to my room looking for my phone when I see the time. 'Merde'.

After rushing to get ready, I call a taxi to take me to the Ferrari HQ and suddenly remember Charles, still asleep, on the sofa. I'm internally debating whether to wake him up when the doorbell rings. So I decide to leave him, covering him with a blanket before I leave.

Whilst I'm sat in the back of the taxi, I receive a message from Maja,

Maja: good luck on your first day!

Me: thank you :) how are you and Gio?

Maja: really good. you should come over sometime

Me: I'll leave space in my diary just for you ;)

I close the chat smiling wide and reply to the rest of my texts, mostly from family, also wishing me good luck and safe travels.

The taxi pulls up to the HQ and I hand the driver the money he is due and thank him. Standing next to the shiny red building I suddenly feel very small and insignificant. I take a long deep breath before walking towards the doors, opening them before the nerves can take complete control of my body. I am met by a blonde lady sat behind the reception desk, she looks busy, her hands raking though her hair as she continues furiously typing on the computers in front of her. I stand there looking lost, not wanting to disturb her. The door behind me swings open and I head a German voice in my direction.

'Hallo, do you need any help?'

'Sorry, are you talking to me?' I ask turning around.

'Abella?' The voice says, as I meet a pair of questioning blue eyes examining my own.

'Omg Seb?' I nearly shout, trying to contain my surprise 'No way' I say in disbelief as I am pulled into a warm hug.

'What do you mean no way' he laughs pulling away. 'Did you not expect to see me in my own building?' He teases grinning.

'I didn't realise it was your building now' I joke back 'it's been so long, it's so good to see you'.

'It's been too long, since when did you grow up?'

'since when did you get so old?' I chuckle.

'Hey, be nice' he playfully scolds 'but seriously you look so much like Jules I can't believe it'. We both sadly smile, knowing it's best to change the subject. 'Anyway what brings you here?'.

'An internship' I explain to Seb the story of how I ended up here. From the signing up, being selected and being virtually bullied into accepting the place by Tom the Ferrari fanatic.

'Have you come to train to be my new race strategist?' he pulls an awkward face at me causing me to crack up.

'No. I don't think I'm good enough at that for Ferrari standards' I reply between giggles.

'Even at 16 you were better than half the strategists here. I will never forget how you used to analyse every race you attended back in the day.' he reminisces.

'Maybe one day' I sigh as we begin to head to the place I have been instructed to go to.

When reach the right room, Seb leaves me, with a hug and a 'Have fun kiddo', to wait to be called in. Seconds later a man invites me in, dressed in the same bright red as the building, and sits down opposite me on an excessively large table.

'Hello, I am Lorenzo' he starts 'I will be your adviser and the person you may come to with any questions'.

I sit there politely nodding my head, trying to appear as professional as possible. He is a funny looking man, rather short and stout but very clearly Italian.

'During this internship you will be travelling with the team, testing your skills within different areas and hopefully by the end you will have found an area you excel in and will have a chance to become a permanent member of our team. Is that clear?' he asks rather robotically.

'Oui, thank you for having me and giving me the opportunity to utilise my skills here at Ferrari' I reply gratefully. We go through my contract and I sign the required papers, followed by a tour of the whole facility. By the end of it all I'm so exhausted I feel like I could colapse, my brain so packed with new information. Never the less I have never been so excited in my entire life.

Hi again everyone, this chapter is a bit longer than the rest so far, but I really enjoyed writing it! It's so nice to finally see some dynamics of Abella's life coming through. Hope you enjoy :))