🇮🇹MARANELLO

Abella
Maranello, Italy

Charles and I haven't spoken about the Giada incident since her previous appearance, the only words he has mentioned regarding her have been dismissive and uninterested. Therefore coming to an understanding that the whole situation made him uncomfortable, I decided not to push him for answers. Instead, our lives went back to normal as if the blonde girl had never existed, something I was the last person to complain about. We started prepping for the race in Austria back at the factory, Lorenzo continuing to make my life a misery with his incessant pestering. By the end of the week I still had one million and one things to do before the race weekend the following week. So when Charles left to go home to Monaco to train for the upcoming week, I stayed here in Maranello with the team where I was needed. Luckily for me Seb was still in Italy too which was making my evenings much more bearable, as we usually ate dinner together to keep each other company.

Tonight it was Sebastian's turn to host our meal at his apartment down the road from mine. When I knock on his door, he opens it, greeting me with a bear hug before inviting me inside. "Bella you didn't need to make such an effort with your appearance tonight for little old me" he teases as I take a seat at his table in my joggers and Charles' hoodie I had successfully stolen. Something he was yet to notice.

"It's been a long day" I huff, lolling my head between my hands propped up by my elbows on the wooden surface.

"You say that everyday you know" he chuckles while plating up some delicious smelling spaghetti into bowls.

"That's how everyday feels when you're working under Lorenzo" I groan, standing up to get the cutlery.

"Come on, I'm sure he's not that bad"

"You try working with him!" I throw my hands dramatically above my head, Seb snorts at my frustration, "I should've just gone home with Charles" I whine in between mouthfuls. "This is really good food old man" I muffle out with my mouth half full.

"Thank you kiddo" he ruffles my hair with his free hand, earning a glare. "Actually, I've been meaning to ask you why Charles went home early"

"Early? I thought you stayed longer to do more simulator training?" I respond somewhat confused by the topic of conversation. Charles hadn't made it seem out of the ordinary.

"Nope, we were supposed to be leaving for Austria together tomorrow" Seb shrugs nonchalantly while I sit next to him with a puzzled look on my face. But before I can question him further his phone starts buzzing in his pocket. He pulls it out and answers the FaceTime call, the image of Hannah and the girls pops up on the screen. Sebastian points the camera at me and I wave back to the smiley, blonde girls on the receiving end.

While he talks to his wife and kids, I gather up our used plates and load them into the dishwasher. I tell Seb I'm leaving so that he can chat to his family in private and I thank him for the generous meal. He shrugs off the gratitude and side hugs me, telling me he will see me in Austria soon and adds that Hannah and the girls will be there too, to which I let out a 'yay!' of excitement. Hannah wishes me a safe journey home from the phone and I bid goodbye to them, swiftly leaving the apartment.

Upon my return to mine and Charles' shared apartment, thoughts of what Sebastian had said about Charles premature departure swamped my thoughts. I tried to focus on something else, turning on the flat screen telly to distract myself when I noticed he hadn't read my text from yesterday. However, not long into an episode of Big Mouth I lost all patience and tried calling his phone. No answer. And again, leading to the same result. "Hmpf" I slumped down into the couch, why wasn't he answering? He always picks up my calls I thought. And that thought alone was enough for me to book myself a flight home to Monaco the next day, in the hopes to catch him before he leaves for Spa.

———

I walk towards Charles' apartment after arriving in Monaco via a taxi from the airport. The first thing I do as I pull my small suitcase behind me is check my phone for messages. More like recheck... for the fiftieth time today. Still no reply from Charles, which was becomes increasingly worrying when I get a text through from Arthur saying he hasn't heard from him either. Picking up my pace, I race up the stairs not having the patience to wait for the lift. Finally reaching the right floor level, I pant making my way to the familiar door, knocking on it three times, as per usual. I wait, for longer than expected, then when the door finally cracks open. My heart drops. Charles isn't there.

Instead, Giada stands in the doorway holding open the entrance with a smile which quickly morphs into a confused look. A less hurt version of my own.
"Hi" she eventually mutters after moments of us awkwardly standing, staring at one another.

"Is Charles here?" I ask with the smallest ounce of hope.

She shakes her head. "Sorry you've just missed him. He left an hour ago"

"Oh" I try and hide my deflation.

"Did you need him? I can try and help you instead?" She asks, seeming unfazed by the encounter.

"Er no" I fumble not knowing where to go from here, all my questions for him are answered. "I just wanted to grab some stuff I left in the spare room" I explained, using the first excuse that came to mind. She lets me in without another word and I leave her under the doorframe, taking myself to 'my' room. I gather my remaining clothes out of the wardrobe, stuffing them in my case. Damn I wish I'd brought the bigger one now. Gathering all my things, the last of my belongings left is a picture that Arthur took of us at the karting track on my bedside table. I try and slide it into the case but there is not a pocket of space left. Frustrated, I drop it into the bin by the door on my way out.

I put on a brave face to thank Giada before leaving the apartment in a hurry. As soon as I hear the door shut behind me, tears start welling up in my eyes. They slide down my cheeks in hot paths, falling into my mouth leaving behind their bitter taste. My focus is lost, consumed by my thoughts in emotional floods. I don't consciously realise where my legs are taking me until I end up at his door, which he promptly opens to me in a hyperventilating state.

"Bella. What's wrong?"