🇳🇿MELBOURNE

Charles
Melbourne, Australia

I don't know why but my first instinct after I left the track was to find her. I had asked Mattia who her supervisor was and he pointed me towards a man name Lorenzo. The man had been rather rude not even bothering to look up from his work when I asked him about Abella at first. That was until he realised who he was addressing and decided to change his attitude, politely apologising for his hostility. He informed me of the hotel Abella was currently residing at, which happened to be across the street from my own. Without saying goodbye to the man, I instantly grabbed my stuff and began walking to the hotel.

My feet carried me to the reception, I felt like I was in a daze, I asked the receptionist for Abella's room number, convincing her that I was a friend and not some random man. As I stood in the elevator I got some questioning looks from other guests, but I was to focused on why I was here to notice.

Before I knew it, I was at her door and the uncertainty started to seep in, along with the nerves. Questions of why I'm here rush through my brain and I turn around and begin to walk away. I stop, taking a deep breath, striding back to her room, and in a sudden moment of bravery, I knock on the door. No going back now. I stand there waiting, looking awkwardly down at my feet, fidgeting with my hands. I consider the fact that she might not open the door and start swaying on the spot feeling the urge to leave, again. As I'm about to turn away again, the door swings open and I'm met with two dark, chocolate brown eyes, looking surprised.

'Charles?' she questions as I stay frozen on the spot, all words escaping my grasp. Trying to figure out what to say as I've been silent for too long I stupidly reply with a 'hi'. She invites me in and leads me to sit on her bed because that's the only seating in the room. Looking over to me expectantly I spew out the first thing that comes into my head.

'How come you didn't come on the track walk?' I ask, avoiding her glittering eyes, playing with my fingers.

She sits in thought for a few minutes before saying, 'I didn't want to be in the way'

To me this seems like an excuse but I don't push her for a better answer. 'What did you do today then?' I would love to know the answer to that question, as I have hardly seen even a glimpse of her all day.

'I just went on a walk around the paddock and the garages' she says simply. If she was around all day then how come I barely saw her. I get the sudden feeling that she's ignoring me, sending a wave of disappointment through my body. 

'I saw you met Max' I state as if that didn't bother me. Honestly the fact that she seemed to have spent most of her day with Max today irked me, and I couldn't help but feel a pang of jealousy when I saw Max walking her back to the Ferrari hospitality earlier. Especially as I had been searching for her myself.

'Yea Dani introduced us' of course he did. At least they are only friends of a friend.

*ping*

Her phone receives a message, illuminating the small space, ever so slightly. I see how the notification appears to pique her interest, so I strain my eyes to read what's caught her attention. Anger starts to boil in me when I see the name 'Max' at the top of her screen.

In a rush of irritation, I get up and stride to the exit, leaving Abella behind in a clear state of shock. I hear her soft voice call my name, confused, before I slam the door and turn for the stairs.

I practically run down the hallways, desperate to leave the hotel. As soon as I'm out in the open air, I let out a grunt of frustration, running my hands roughly through my hair. I sit down on the steps that lead up to the hotel, taking a deep breath, trying to calm my rage. How can she always be so far out of my reach, always feeling so distant. Yet someone like Max, can know her for less than a day, and get more conversation out of her than I have been able to in years.

I sit there, controlling my breathing with my head in my hands, crouched forwards. I feel a weight on my shoulder and a gentle hand grips it lightly. I sense her take a seat next to me, moving her hand to my forearm.

'Charles?' she asks tentatively, like she's wary of my reaction. This triggers a wave of guilt deep in the pit of my stomach, and I let out the breath I had been holding. I don't make eye contact with her, but I lay my head on her shoulder and stare up at the stars. We stay in each other's presence, in tranquility. She doesn't ask me to explain myself, nor do I want to. I'm more grateful for that than she knows. I don't think I understand those reasons myself.

Hi guys, here's another upload for you all. Thank you all so much for reading, I didn't expect this many people to enjoy my content! A bit of a heartfelt chapter from Charles here. Hope you enjoy :))