🇮🇹MARANELLO

Abella
Maranello, Italy

My alarm blares at exactly 3 am on the dot. I groan before turning on my side, reaching for the bedside table to turn it off. 'Ugh'. I haven't woken up this early in forever so I feel absolutely shattered, my serious lack of sleep last night not helping much. I start dragging myself out of the covers, rubbing my eyes and stretching my limbs. After dressing myself in comfy grey jogging bottoms and my favourite red hoodie. Next I go to check my phone, finding a small piece of paper folded on top of it.

'Sorry I had to leave to catch my flight. I hope you are feeling better now. See you in Australia' the small yellow note read, signed by Charles at the bottom. Almost immediately the memories of the previous night came rushing back, my cheeks flushing a violent red.

'Oh mon Dieu' I cringe remembering crying myself to sleep in his arms, I pray that he doesn't bring it up in Australia. Contemplating the matter at hand, I realise that I haven't had a nightmare in some time. After his crash, I had been diagnosed with severe anxiety that often triggered night terrors, leaving me always drained as I was never getting any sleep. However I had grown out of it a few years later and hadn't had one this vivid since, and I hope it stays that way. Deciding to avoid the thought in my head, I grab my suitcase in a rush as I realise I have left myself short of time like always.

Now at the airport, I haul my suitcase through the doors to the departures section. Starting to get fed up with my my luggage I stop and huff, annoyed until I see the familiar coffee shop where I had met Maja, bringing a smile back to my face. I quickly grab yet another macchiato, because damn they are so addictive, before running like a lunatic to the gates to get onto my plane.

As soon as I reach my seat I crash onto the seat exhausted from my sudden running abilities. I feel a pair of eyes watching me and I turn to my left to see a child that seems about 7 with small chubby cheeks, boring his little eyes into my soul. My initial thought was how tragically unlucky I must be to always be sat with kids on every flight. To my surprise the kid introduces himself as Emilio offers me a controller to his Nintendo Switch and thrashes me in every race at mario kart for the majority of the flight. As Emilio was young and could only speak italian communication was slightly difficult but for the most part I understood through his explaining gestures. I felt sorry for the woman who was his mother sat next to him, as she seemed worn out from staying up into the early hours tending to her son, who didn't feel like sleeping on the flight. Personally I slept like a baby, not noticing Emilio troubling his mother all night, having run on little to any sleep all day.

Finally arriving in Australia after a stop off, I am relieved to be able to walk on solid ground as I walk off the plane. Although I am still wearing my sweats, and in the Australian sun I am absolutely sweating. Leaving airport control, I search for the ladies toilets to change into my denim shorts and a ribbed, white vest top that I had packed for the occasion. I also let down my long dark waves from my, now messy bun, before I turn to leave the airport. Emilio runs up to me tightly hugging my legs, I chuckle ruffling his hair and I wave goodbye to him and his mother, wishing them safe travels.

Once I am in the transport taxi, I gaze out of the window as we are driving along the roads towards the venue. The wildlife and landscape are fascinating to me, being so different to those in France and Italy. My excitement grows the closer we get to the track, so much that when we get to our destination I can't help letting out a quiet squeal of enjoyment. I thank the driver and make my way to the hotel reception, to drop off my belongings.

Next I walk to the track, scanning my pass, then setting my sights on the Ferrari hospitality building. Despite that I never directly make it as I am abruptly snatched off of the ground and swung around in circles. When I reconnect with the ground, dizzy and disoriented, I spot a head of curls in front of my face and a blinding smile. My expression of shock fades away as a huge grin replaces it on my face and I jump at the man giving, and receiving the biggest hug of my lifetime.

'Ah mia bella' he proclaims in an over exaggerated fake Italian accent, making ridiculous stereotypical arm movements. Letting me go and gleefully laughing, he pats my head saying 'oh how I've missed you' in his real Aussie accent.

hey everyone, I can't quite believe how many people are actually reading this book. So thank you so much for spending time to read so far. Abella is finally at the first GP of the 2019 season. Who's she going to meet...