🇲🇨MONACO

Abella
Monte-Carlo, Monaco

In the days leading up to the Amber Lounge event, the three of us utilise every spare moment we have free together, recalling old memories and creating new ones. Pierre brings up the upcoming event at least 3 times a day, attempting to spark a conversation but Charles always responds with a shrug, seeming uninterested. His unusual behaviour leaves me questioning if Pierre has told him that Max asked me to be his date, but I never have a second alone with Pierre to ask and talking about Max with around Charles is always a bad decision. So instead I spend the whole week with a smile plastered on my face, secretly hoping that Charles would mention to me while we were alone in the room that we share. However the boys, being boys, stayed up every night gaming and streaming therefore I was asleep hours before they decided to call it a night. Meaning that there wasn't many chances for the conversation to happen.

Eventually the Friday came but he never asked me about it at all. I try to ignore the feeling of disappointment as I get ready, subsequently I call Max and let him know that I will join him, not wanting to make my first public appearance after Jules death alone. What would Jules do? I remember the last Monaco Grand Prix before he passed, it was the day of the Amber Lounge and I was so excited to help him get all dressed up. But when I walked into his room at the Leclerc's house where we were staying, he handed me a sparkly box with my name on it and inside was a pretty dress that Melanie had picked out for me to wear. I recall fondly my confusion quickly changing into pure happiness when Jules informed me that he was bringing me along to the event with him. I was overjoyed, I'm sure there were thousands of gorgeous, model-looking girls that he could have taken to show off on his arm. But Jules was always more humble than that, humble enough to take his youngest sister, just to make her smile. He was my best friend and I was his. We had an unbreakable bond as the oldest and youngest siblings and he spent everyday of his life looking after me, tending to my every need and I idolised him for it. I've never experienced the same kind of relationship with anyone other than Jules. Even the thought makes me feel guilty, like I'm replacing him.  It's times like this that I miss him most. I catch myself from time to time daydreaming, imagining that he will knock on the door and look at me with that wide grin on his face, preparing to shower me with compliments. But of course it never happens, not anymore.

Instead I make my way out of the apartment, heading outside in the blazing sun to be met with Max eyeing me next to a sleek black Aston Martin Vantage. 'Hey' I wave to him making my way over to him, examining how his classy, black suit fits him perfectly, complimenting my similarly black, satin gown. He pulls me into a welcoming hug, bring his mouth to my hear and whispering,

'You look breathtaking' causing me to violently blush and nervously laugh whilst trying to hide my tomato face.

'Thank you Max, you don't look so bad yourself' I return, composing myself as he helps me into the passenger seat of the car.

'So,' Max starts once the car had started moving, 'Have you ever been to the Amber Lounge before?'

'Yea I've been once, a long time ago' I answer.

'Hey kiddo, keep up!' Jules calls back to me, reaching for my hand as we stand in line to enter the venue. I gaze around us in awe of all the luxurious decorations leading up to the entrance. Even the ground we patiently waited on was covered in clean marble slabs, with colourful mosaics in intricate patterns that danced around our feet. I felt eyes watching me as I traced the glittering tiles with my sandal wrapped toes, I leave my thoughts realising I'd gotten carried away. Lifting my gaze from the floor, I see an older woman approaching me, her bleached hair bobbing as she strutted over in unbelievably high heels. As soon as she reaches me she lays a bony, manicured hand on my shoulder, gripping it as she gives me a condescending smile. Or something close to a smile, constricted by obvious botox.