🇫🇷FRANCE

Abella
Paul Ricard

'Oh hey you two, sorry to interrupt' Andrea greets us upon entering Charles' driver room.

'Hey Andi. What's up?' Charles asks politely as possible in his hurried manner. A smile ghosts Andrea's face but it quickly falls when he shakes his head, averting his eyes to his feet. Now Charles repeats himself more concerned, 'Andi what's up?'.

Andrea looks at me anxiously, contemplating before finally answering the question. 'Er, you have a visitor. Who wants to see you' his eyes flicker to and from me once more, 'Privately'. Charles looks puzzled but nods his head, gesturing to the closed door. Andrea opens it and walks out first, I follow in pursuit outside the trailer room to be met by a pair of blue eyes with a head of blonde hair. I look back to catch Charles response to the arrival of this mysterious woman, to see his eyebrows together, a single frown line between them.

The woman opens her mouth to speak but is cut off when Charles interrupts, addressing me, 'Bella I'll find you later. Go with Andrea to the garage'. I squeak out a measly 'Okay' taken aback by his commanding tone, before turning to follow Andrea through the paddock, leaving Charles and the Blonde alone.

———

When we reach the red garage, Andrea shoots me a smile before scurrying off into the building without a word, leaving me in a further state of confusion. However, my train of thought is cut short when Sebastian slings his arm around my shoulder. 'Hey kid, what are you up to?' he asks mirroring my confusion as I am pulled out of my trance.

'Um, well, nothing really' I awkwardly laugh in response.

'Well I'm about to embark on my track walk. Care to join me?'

'Sure' I smile, having nothing better to do, knowing it will keep my mind off of whatever Charles is doing. Seb leads me, arm still around my shoulder, to his team and we set off around the track. On the walk Sebastian badgers me about what's 'going on in that little head of mine' and I tell him about mine and Charles encounter with the woman earlier. To this he pulls his hand to his chin in a quizzical expression and agrees with me that Charles behaviour is unusual. He follows up his conclusion, stopping me in my tracks to look at me.

'Abella, don't worry about it. He's a big boy, I'm sure he knows what he's doing' he smiles sweetly, reassuring me, but I don't miss the 'hopefully' he quietly breathes out when we resume our stroll. Not long after, we are nearly toppled over by Daniel who bounds towards us wearing his signature toothy grin.

'Hey guys' he babbles slinging his arms around both of our shoulders like a schoolboy in the playground. 'Where's Charlie boy?' He asks, looking to me first, expecting an answer. I reply with a shrug of my shoulders, but Sebastian points to the pit lane where none other than Charles is stood there looking frustrated with the conversation he's having. I recognise the girl from before on the receiving end of his discussion. 'Is that Giada?!' Daniel half shouts, his head whipping round to Sebastian in question.

'Looks like her' he answers analysing the two and they both hum in sync, goggling at them.

'Who's Giada?' I ask, and they both stop focusing on the pair, turning to me.

'I don't know how much your going to like this' Danny tells me.

I look expectantly at Seb, who sighs, running his fingers through his hair. 'That's Charles' ex girlfriend' he tells me with a look of disappointment and I see Daniel grimace behind him.

'Oh' my heart drops. What was Charles' ex girlfriend doing supporting him at a race. And how come everyone else knew about her apart from me, I think feeling stupid while looking at my red Puma trainers.