🇮🇹MARANELLO

Abella
Maranello Italy

I heave Charles' spare, Ferrari gifted, red bike out of the apartment and lug it down the stairs. My god it feels like it weighs a tonne, making my hands cramp up from clinging onto the hefty metal structure. Triumphantly I exit the ground floor of the building, puffing my cheeks out in exhaustion, clambering onto the bike's seat before cycling on my way. I cruise down the streets leading to Maja's house in my white, high waist shorts and sandy brown, button up shirt, feeling the warm Italian wind swirl through my dark, long locks of hair.

OUTFIT:

Reaching Maja's house, she is already leant against her bike waiting for my arrival

Reaching Maja's house, she is already leant against her bike waiting for my arrival. Upon seeing me, Maja hops effortlessly onto her baby blue, vintage bike with a basket perched on the front, which will be later filled with our food for our picnic.

'Morning!' she excitedly greets me, now riding beside me.

'Hey. Where should we go to get the food?' I ask looking over to her. Although I have been in Maranello for a few months now, I've been away for a lot of it on race weeks, therefore I am still not thoroughly acquainted with the area.

'The market in the square is open today, so there will be masses of fresh bread and fruits to buy. Along with every other food you can think of'

'I didn't even know there was a market' I chuckle as I genuinely had no idea about the square, and I can't believe I haven't seen it before now.

'Follow me!' Maja calls, suddenly having cycled much further ahead of me whilst I was lost in my thoughts.

We reach the market, dismount our rides and start to wonder through the maze of the green and white striped shop tents. Strolling leisurely, we buy a baguette, some prosciutto from the butcher, fresh strawberries and some homemade pressed apple juice. Stacking our items into the basket on the front of Maja's bicycle, she lets out a deep sigh which catches my attention. She looks happy but her body language is conflicted, her back hunched over as if she is in pain.

'Is everything okay?' I ask, laying my hand on her shoulder, a look of concern written across my features.

She takes a minute, thinking hard before saying, 'everything is perfect right now. In fact I think this is the happiest I've been in a while'.

'What do you mean?' Maja has always been such a carefree, lighthearted and bubbly person, so it's a surprise to me to hear she has been unhappy. I feel guilty for not being around enough to have noticed and be there for her.

'I've been having a hard time with Gio at home recently' she explains giving me a sad smile, 'he's always out working or with his friends and we barely see each other anymore. Don't get me wrong, I love every bone in his body, but I don't think I can live my life waiting around for him all of the time' She lets out all in one huff of breath.