8

I woke up to the sun glaring in my face. Newt staring down at me. The sun behind him made him look more of a shadow.

"Hey! Hey, it's ok." He said smiling a bit at me. I felt horrible. Not emotionally horrible, actually that and physically. A sudden thought of my tag came to me. Maybe it's my fault that all this is happening? Maybe since I was tagged, they put a tracker on me. Maybe I'm the reason we all can't get out of here. It's all my fault. I then heard a sudden slap and looked behind Newt to see Jorge slapping the guy. The guy who once was laughing still somehow had a smile although he was tied up to the chair and getting abused. But then Newt had brought his hand up to my cheek and slowly turned my face back to his.

"Don't worry about them. Just take a couple of breaths. Rest for a bit." He said. I still didn't process what he said. I got up in the beam bag.

"Woah what are you doing?" He asked concerned.

"Is this my fault?" I said softly, fidgeting with my fingers.

"What is?" He asked, moving closer to me.

"There's no hope for me, Newt. Cant you tell? I'm tagged!" I moved my hair, leading him to see the tag mark.

"So did Thomas and Teresa! But they're still alive..what are you trying to say?" He said, grabbing my hand and placing it in his.

"I'm saying. It's just- I'm tired. I'm tired of running."

"We all are but you don't know how much it'll be worth it in the end."

"Is it? One of us is bound to die sooner or later and you know it. We aren't going to make it out in one piece. I'll be willing to make that sacrifice." I said, squeezing his hand tighter.

"You can't go. Not now. I can't live with myself knowing that you died. We've made it this far."

He looked more sad and his voice grew quieter yet he talked faster, taking breaths between the sentences. I didn't know Newt felt like that. I smiled and caressed his cheek.

"You've convinced me." I smirked.   I only said that to make him feel better.  I couldn't lose him. And I wouldn't want him to be sad. We gazed in each other's eyes for a moment and moved closer. We glanced at each other's lips.

"Cmon Lovebirds. Let's go." Brenda says. It both startled us and we moved away from each other then separating. We took a quick look at each other than went with everyone.

____________________________________

We were driving in the guys car apparently named "Bertha". It's pretty weird but I got to admit it felt nice not walking on our bare feet to get to someplace for once. We could finally relax for a little bit. Now when I say relax something always goes wrong but I'm just gonna enjoy the time before it does do that.  Newt sat in the front. I saw his cute little smile that always lit up the room. You could tell he was happy and hadn't rode in a car for a while. Well at least to what he remembers. We arrived on a mountain cliff road. We stopped due to old rotting cars blocking the way. It was jam packed. We all went out to check it closer.

"We're gonna have to be on foot for now." Jorge announces. There was the bad news. At least I knew it was coming. We grabbed our belongings and started walking a few steps. In the bitter silence, we walked only so far.

*BANG*

"GET DOWN!" Minho yells.

"TAKE COVER!" Newt shouts. I hadn't reacted as fast as the others do Newt grabbed me and started to put his arms around me, covering and shielding me. Every time a bullet was shot he had flinched but so did I. The glass started to break in the cars and you could hear the bullets puncturing the metal.