Voicemails

Setting: Four months after Nevaeh's death. Linked to 'The Girl in the Hoodie', so she didn't have kids.

~~~

Voicemails

"Kia Oraaa! It's Nevaeh—well, who else would it be? You're calling my number. Yeah, anyway, I don't know why you're calling, but clearly I haven't answered, so if it's that bloody important, leave a message or just call me back. See ya!"

"Hey, baby mama." Max swallows thickly as he stares at the sunset from his seat on the roof of their apartment complex, phone pressed against his ear and a pale yellow blanket wrapped around him. The oranges, yellows and reds of the sky bleed together and form one big blur as his eyes slowly unfocus before he shakes his head, stopping himself from zoning out. "It's me again."

"Not much happened today. Danny got his head stuck in the microwave. I don't fucking know how he managed that so don't ask." Not like she could ask.

He bites his lip, blinking back tears.

"I took your yellow blanket. It's mine now. Sorry, not sorry, Vaeh." He chuckles slightly, eyes glassy.

"I helped an old lady cross the road today, too." He starts telling any story that comes to his head. "She bought me a pretzel."

"Oh! And Noah finally came out of his room to do more than just go to the bathroom. He's...uh, he's not doing so well, Vaeh. But he's getting there! So, don't worry! I'll look after him! He actually made us breakfast today, so that was nice."

Max looks down and tucks his knees up to his chest. "I miss you, you know. So much. It hurts so much, Vaeh. I haven't felt like this since Anthony."

Tears slowly start slipping down his cheeks and he tugs the blanket tighter around himself, burying his nose in the fluffy fabric. It still smells like her.

"I should become a scientist. Discover a cure for cancer because cancer's a fucking bitch." He laughs bitterly.

"Also, I've been thinking. When Megan and I have kids, I'd like two girls. One named Vaeh, and one named Kamri. Yes, Kamri after the stupid electronic doll baby I kicked into a tree. She may have been a stupid electronic doll baby, but she was our stupid electronic doll baby. So it works out."

"I watched 'Batman: Under the Red Hood' again today. Dylan's sick of it but I don't give a shit. His Yoda looking ass can deal with it."

He chews on his bottom lip, trying to think of something -anything- else to talk about, but he was coming up short.

"Well, I guess that's all I have for you today. I'll talk to you again tomorrow. Same time, same place, just like the last two months."

And he would. He would call her everyday. And talk about anything and everything. Until the inevitable day that he would finally run out of things to say and eventually stop calling at all.

"Bye, Baby Mama. Love you."

And the line cuts off just as he finishes saying the last syllable.