Chapter 11

***So I'm essentially going to finish this story in a marathon of updates. I needed to complete one of my books, and this one seemed the easiest at the time LOL So let's finish this thing over the next two days. Enjoy!***

***(Nya's POV)***

Jay's eyes widen. "Holy moley, the Ignacian police chief's daughter? That's so corrupt!"

"Tell me about it." I sigh. "Anyway, Cole's your missing link, but there's no way to get justice against him unless his fingerprints or DNA match some of those found in the bank or in our getaway car. And no one who suspects Cole will get his prints – the police chief holds a power monopoly back home."

"Not over me, he doesn't," Jay argues. "I knew you weren't responsible for all those crimes!"

I shake my head. "I am responsible. You just want to believe otherwise. I'm still guilty of running from the police and participating in an armed robbery, even if I wasn't the leader of the operation."

He waves a hand in the air. "Well, yeah, but I'm sure you could get off without so many charges, if that's everything on your record. Nya, I need you to tell me everything about your crimes. I can help you." His eyes bore down into mine.

I shake my head, frowning severely at his nose. I don't have the guts to look him in the eye right now.

"Look, Jay, you have so many personal problems right now that you need to deal with. You can't help me until you help yourself."

He rests his hands on my shoulders. "Nya, I promise I'll tell my parents the truth...soon. And not all at once – my mom probably can't take that." He sighs. "But please let me help you. I don't want you going to prison."

"I'm going to prison whether Cole's indicted or not." I rub my temple. "Tell your parents I had to leave early."

He looks at me, clutching his bottom lip between his front teeth. "But..." He swallows hard. "I get that you don't like me very much. I've been nothing but trouble for you since my parents arrived this afternoon, I admit." He removes one hand from my shoulder, instead brushing it through his auburn curls. "And I get that I've probably taken my fantasies about our relationship way too far with my parents."

I exhale. "Probably?"

"Definitely," he corrects himself. "I'm sorry."

I nod slowly. "So...you're going to get help?"

"I don't need emotional or mental help, okay?" he scowls. "I just need to keep my stupid ideas to myself, I guess. But I am sorry for how I've dragged you into so much drama in only a few hours."

"Thank you." The heat in my attitude begins to dissipate.

"That being said," he continues seriously, "I really want to help you, Nya. No, I don't want you to just leave today and never come back into my life. I...you're so important to me. I care about you, even if it's weird. And I know that love grows over time and stuff, but I at least see seeds of a future with you now. Is that too forward? I don't think so." He heaves a breath, stuffing his hands in his pockets.

"That isn't...as weird," I relent. "But I need you to respect the fact that I'm a criminal and you're a law enforcement officer. And quite frankly, I'm not really interested in someone who lives in a fantasy world. I already have enough crazy of my own to deal with, and I'm certainly not ready for a serious relationship right now." I debate my next words. "I haven't even contacted my own brother in years, and he's the person who loves me the most."

Jay takes a deep breath, smiling glumly. "I...can see how I may have kind of offended you earlier. Uh, just a little bit. I didn't respect that you weren't interested in me, and I didn't think before I spilled all my feelings for you. I just didn't want to mess things up so bad, and in the process, that's exactly what I did."

"You're not wrong," I agree, relieved that he's finally acting like less of a crazy person.

He gazes down at me thoughtfully. "So...I assume using romantic notions to sway you to stay with me isn't going to work."

I snort. "Has it worked yet?"

"No. And promising to tell my parents the truth obviously didn't work, either. You're still intent on leaving." He swallows, his eyes pleading with me. "Listen...maybe this will sound desperate or whatever, but at least stay in contact with me so I can help you get your criminal charges settled. I'm on your side, Nya. Yeah, you may think I'm out of my mind, but you know I really can help you live your life within the bounds of the law." He brushes his hands from my shoulders down to my elbows.

I'm tempted to spill all about my past to him. This oddly obsessed liar has become closer to me than almost anyone else in the past year and a half. I think it's because I haven't had any meaningful interactions with other people until today. By default, Jay has become the closest person to me.

It's weird. I'm not ready for that kind of openness, not with Kai and especially not with someone I've just met.

At the same time, I know he really could help me. Sure, it comes with risks – like him telling his parents we're getting married next week or something – but I can't deny that not running from the police for the next few years would be nice. Oh, gosh, being normal again would be nice. Just a few hours with Jay have showed me that I really miss meaningful interactions with other people.

I don't want to run anymore. And Jay may have a problem with deceit and obsession, but he's not like Cole's friends. His goal isn't to get me high and stupid, then use me for his own purposes.

I'll be on my guard, but...I think I might just trust him with my past. I mean, it's not like he can nail me with anything more than the police already want to cite me for. I'm sure the detectives on my case want to pin me as some attempted murderer and criminal mastermind. What could be worse than that?

"Okay," I say softly. "Let's talk."

He releases a long sigh of relief, letting go of my elbows. "You'll let me help you?"

"Yes," I relent. "Do you have time to talk this afternoon? I know your parents wanted to take you out this afternoon to see haunted houses or whatever."

He nods vigorously. "I can clear my schedule! Um, I'll take you out to get food. You didn't eat anything earlier at my apartment." He scrubs a hand through his messy locks. "Is food okay?"

I raise an eyebrow. "This isn't a date, right?"

He places his hand at my back. "It doesn't have to be. I'm just happy you haven't kicked me out of your life yet."

I shake my head. "I don't kick people out. I just plain don't let them in in the first place."

"But I'm different? Like, you've spent your whole afternoon with me and met my parents and – "

"Don't push things."

"Okay. I'm still really happy." He rearranges my coat on my shoulders, stopping in his tracks. "The car's unlocked. I'll go tell my parents our change of plans."

"Are you revealing that our pregnancy's fake yet?" I eye him.

He bites his lip sheepishly. "I...am going to wait until my mom's a little more stable for that one. She needs to take her medication consistently and be safe and comfortable before I reveal that little tidbit of information to her. Sorry, not sorry."

I sigh. "This could go very badly, you know."

He rubs the back of his neck. "That's...what I'm afraid of."

***Finally, Jay and Nya are getting to the heart of things! And Jay apologized! Next is Nya's turn...***