𝟳 - 𝗛𝗮𝗿𝗿𝘆 | 𝗦𝘂𝗰𝗰𝗲𝘀𝘀𝗳𝘂𝗹

Start from the beginning

"Hi there." She said, returning her gaze to the giant screen she called 'computer'. "What do you need?"

"I need you to track a red Toyota van. Can you do that?" I asked, placing both of my hands on the backrest of her spinning chair and crouching down to see her computer, hoping I'd understand something of the thousands of things that were appearing and disappearing in the computer.

"Not to show off, but I'm offended that you had to ask." She joked. "On it."

Soon, her screen filled with more different numbers, letters, maps and codes. Her typing was really fast and everything on the computer flashed by really quickly. I was surprised she actually understood whatever was going on in there, because I knew most of the coding she used but she made it seem like an impossible thing to decipher.

My anxiety was getting the best of me as I paced back and forth, waiting for what she had to say. The nerves were filling my body like water and the suspense was suffocating, dreading the fact we may not find the results. But, once again, Nicki Colson never failed a mission.

"Got it." She exclaimed, taking the anvil out of my chest as I felt like I could finally breathe. I crouched down once more and looked into the screen, which was now a map full of red twinkling dots. "If you search for red Toyota vans in Holmes Chapel, you'll get an amount of 3245, which is a really big number and I don't think you'll have time to look for all of them."

Fuck, it was a huge number.

I was so stupid to think this could actually work. Holmes Chapel wasn't that big, but it didn't take away the fact it was still a town. I was about to get a new lead to follow and I thought we would be closer to arrest the killer, but here we were, back in square one.

"Wait, do you have any other data about the car? The plate? Something?" Nicki chimed.

For fuck's sake, of course, the plate.

"The plate! It had no plate, look for red Toyota vans with no plate and tell me what you find." I pointed my index finger at the screen and requested, adamant on the fact I would catch this killer no matter what the circumstances were.

The computer was, once more, full of numbers and letters, and another map appeared when Colson murmured under her breath. "I'm such a genius."

Quickly, I glanced at the results and it showed seven red Toyota vans with no plate amongst Holmes Chapel, all of them with specific addresses that would literally save our lives. I stared at the computer in awe before I kissed Nicki's cheek.

"You're the best, thank you so much. Text me the addresses, I'll be there with Horan and Owens." I said, already walking out of the room.

My determination to achieve my goal was priceless because I couldn't take my mind off the fact we were so close to putting the murderer behind the bars. Colson could've helped us before, but she was out of town. Everything was easier with her. I was so happy. Or was I?

I mean, I was kinda dumbfounded since my father had died and I wasn't willing to completely accept it. Part of me still thought he would be sitting on his leather couch reading the newspaper, like he usually was. I wasn't fully aware my dad was gone. Gone for good.

While I got into the elevator, I bumped into Jackson. It was the perfect timing, so I told him everything that had just happened and he seemed to understand pretty well, because he grabbed his earpiece and went down the elevator with me.

The rush of euphoria was circulating all around my body. I was tapping my foot on the floor, impatient. The feelings that were running through my mind had me clenching my jaw, because I felt so angry.