8: Mia Memory

Make my day and leave a comment (;

"Great pi..." I catch myself talking to her like a child again. "Great use of perspective." I amend, trying to sound like my art teacher.

Ambien smiles at me knowingly. I have to look away.

Janine comes out of the kitchen, what I'm assuming is the kitchen, I haven't seen it, with a tray of cupcakes.

"I have great news." She announces, setting the cupcakes in the middle of the table. "Kali, you're being released this Friday. You've been assigned to a wealthy woman out of Portland, Oregon." She elaborates, smiling at Kali with near sincerity.

"Freedom!" Kali celebrates, but then she looks over at Thomas, who gives her a sad smile. "Don't worry. I'll call when I get to Portland, you can come find me when you get out." She says, caressing his cheek.

"Dr. Hemsworth wants to see you but take a cupcake with you." Janine says brightly, the smile actually reaching her eyes for once.

"Thank you." Kali says in the nicest way I've ever heard her speak to the tech. Kali grabs a cupcake and runs off to the doctor's office. I feel kind of bummed that we won't be having a birthday party for her. At least there's cupcakes.

I go to grab one and Miguel catches my eye. He's making an odd expression and shaking his head. Why is he so weird? Thomas takes two, probably in an attempt to squash his sadness.

"Sasuke? Dig in." Janine encourages.

"I would but I'm still full from lunch and..." he hesitates, looking guilty. "I can't stand chocolate. I'm sorry." He says to Janine. She looks disappointed.

"You don't like chocolate?" I say in astonishment.

"That's insane." Thomas asserts, already starting on his second cupcake.

"I know everyone says that." He smiles at us with that cute grin of his, it's impossible to hold anything against him. Even Janine's expression softens.

"Ambien, Miguel." Janine offers. Ambien takes one and walks out of the room.

"No." Miguel refuses, following Ambien.

"I didn't say you could leave." Janine calls.

"You didn't have too. We already know the drill." Miguel answers over his shoulder.

I take a bit, it's delicious. My stomach isn't so impressed, though. I'm still overly full of lunch. I allow myself one more bite then force myself to stop before I explode.

"Thank you, Janine. They are really good." I praise, mustering a smile for the woman.

"Yeah, thanks." Thomas agrees, going for a third.

"You're welcome." She beams. This is the happiest I've seen her, which I guess isn't saying much since I've known her for less than a day.

"You have the rest of the day off." Janine announces.

"Sweet!" Thomas cheers.

"Stay in the recreation area and your room, except to meet with Dr. Hemsworth. Perfect time for you to catch up on schoolwork, Sasuke. We'll have you signed up tomorrow, Sara." Janine instructs, collecting the papers. "Take care of those crayons, will yuh, Sara." Janine adds as an afterthought as she walks back through the mystery door.

"Okay." I agree to the closed door. I collect the crayons back into the tub. Sasuke helps. "Thank you. You don't have to. Gotta get that school done before January?" I kid.

"No problem. I'm not in such a hurry to finish anymore." He admits, blushing a little.

I feel heat pool in my cheeks in response. We walk side by side back to the recreation area, him carrying the tub of crayons for me. I feel like I'm in one of those corny movies where the boy carries the girl's books for her down the school hallway while walking her to class. It makes me happy. And guilty as it reminds me of Mia.