32: Say Goodbye to Angel School

"Dr. Hemsworth wants to see you both." Janine says, poking her head through the computer lab door. I jump a little, whipping my head in her direction. What does she want? All I have to do is this one last class. It's a history class. I've been procrastinating it this whole time, but now I'm almost done.

"I'm in the middle of a test, though." I object. Sasuke has already taken all the classes he needs. He's just been here, keeping me company for the last few days, working on an extracurricular he signed up for, because he's a nerd. Janine comes and looks over my shoulder. She clicks the little "x" in the upper right corner.

"What the hell, Janine?" Sasuke demands, seeing what she has done. Janine and I both turn and stare at him. It's so unlike him.

"Come on, Sasuke. Dr. Hemsworth is waiting." I say, quickly dragging him out the door before Janine has a chance to react.

I tap on the door. "Come in." Dr. Hemsworth instructs.

I enter apprehensively. Why does she want to see both of us? She's never had two of us in at the same time, that I know of. She has two seats set up in front of her desk. She sits behind her desk looking as quaffed as ever. She gives us a light smile when we enter and gestures for us to sit.

"Hello. Please sit." She requests, pleasantly.

I take a seat as instructed. Sasuke does the same.

"You'll both be released tomorrow. It's unprecedented but a particularly influential benefactor has requested the employment of two Nephilim. As you two are the most senior of the available Nephilim in this area, I am left with no choice but to release you early. Fair warning, though. Although you have not completed your training, your new employer will make no allowances. He won't be putting up with any misconduct or insubordination." She says, finishing with a pointed look in my direction.

I don't even know that I want to be a bodyguard. I want to stay here. Amanda is confusing and even hurtful but I care for her. I don't want to leave her though sometimes I feel as though she wants me to. Being a body guard just sounds like to much opportunity to hurt people.

"I'm going to be a prison guard in Hell." I say with more conviction than I feel. But the words feel right. Saying it aloud strengthens my resolve.

"Are you so ready to throw your life away?" Dr. Hemsworth asks. "If so, I still have Briti to send. I've had far less issues with her behavior anyway, though she has only been here a short time. And what of your poor father. He can't come visit you in hell. Most Nephilim in Hell families believe them dead. I'll give you a moment to reconsider." She leans forward on her desk, smirking at me.

Maybe dad would be better off if he believed I were dead. It would hurt him at first but in the end maybe it would be less painful.

I look away from her gaze, finding Sasuke. He looks back, his expression pleading. I hadn't considered him. He already told me he doesn't want me to throw my life away. If I make the decision to go to Hell, he may make the same. Can I live with that?

"What is your final decision?" She bores into me with those fierce commanding eyes. My resolve crumbles under her gaze.

"I'll do it." I say quietly, looking at the floor.

"Do what?" She asks mockingly.

"Work for whoever it is you want me to." I reply.

"You'll do what your told?" She persists.

"Yes." I say, frowning at her.

"Good decision." A wicked smile plays on her face.

"You'll be leaving tomorrow morning. Be sure to talk to your families tonight. You may go." She dismisses.