4: Angel Powers

Warning: Assault 

The furrow between my brow deepens. "Like ghosts?" I clarify, thinking I can't have heard her right.

"Not ghosts. Ethereal beings though. Heavenly ones." She is smiling at me, but it slowly wilts. "Angels." She states.

"Angels are making me crazy?" I ask, putting all my skepticism into my voice.

"You're not crazy, Sara. You are the product of an angel and human union. These things that are happening that you can't explain are the manifestation of the angelic grace flowing within you." She explains with a straight face.

I laugh out loud at the very idea. There has been nothing angelic about the events of the last month. Demonic more like. Strait from the pits of hell.

....................................................

After the incident with Jacob and phone call with Cameron I went to school, but I wasn't present. I blocked out everyone, so I didn't have to hear the mocking of my classmates. They all knew now. I was the monster my mother believed me to be. A life ruining, Santa killing, demon. My grades fell due to my lack of in-class participation and the voices that just wouldn't shut the hay up. Every test, I could hear them. Every pop quiz, it was like screaming in my ear. The smell of the cafeteria was so potent it made me nauseous, so I just avoided it completely, sitting in the library reading books or I walked down to the field. It was spring, my favorite time of year, usually. I went out to walk when it was sprinkling.

I luxuriated in the drizzle while standing in the middle of the field. The clouds just barely shielded the sun from view allowing golden rays to shine through. I could have stared at the sky like this forever, speckles of water tickling my cheeks. Unfortunately, even from there I could hear the bell ring and I had another calculus test to study for. It had been two weeks since my birthday party and that horrible day. Jacob did just as the officer said he would and dropped the charges, claiming he felt bad for me. I dropped mine as well. Cameron hadn't spoken to me since that phone call, and I hadn't spoken to her.

I walked back toward the school, passing through the bleachers as a short cut, like always. I didn't spot them until I was a few bars in.

Jacob was leaning against the bars closest to the bleacher seats, his friend, Jaxon beside him. I turned around to go the way I came and found Chance blocking the way. I didn't know what was going on, but I wanted no part of it.

I ran, weaving through the bleacher bars as nimbly as my somewhat chubby physique would allow. They caught up easily. Like I said. I didn't run.

"Where are you scampering off to, little mouse?" Jacob mocked, cutting me off. Chance and Jaxon flanked me. There was no one behind me, but clearly, I wasn't outrunning these guys. I changed tactics.

"What do you guys want? I'm meeting Michelle in the library. She'll come looking for me if I'm late." I lied.

"You haven't spoken to Michelle in weeks." Jacob laughed. He was right. I hadn't said more than a "hey" to anyone other than Mia, but that was only about chemistry.

"She asked me to help her study for the pre-calculus final this morning." I persisted.

"Really. The way I hear it, you're failing pre-calc and pretty much all your classes."

'How does he know so much about my life? Why does he care?' I wondered while looking down at my hands, my cheeks red with shame. I was embarrassed, so naturally, I was getting pissed off.

"You know, this cast makes it hard to do pretty much anything." He whined.

"Like what, jerk off?" I snapped belligerently.