6: Not an Angel, Just a Prison Guard

When I get to the cafeteria, Kali and Thomas are already there. Ambien suddenly materialize beside me making me jump a mile high and hiss like a feral cat.

"What the hell was that?" I demand shrilly.

"What we're here for." Kali responds, casually walking over to a table that has an assortment of breakfast items sat out on it.

"To die?" I ask.

"Yes." Ambien sings.

"No. To train." Thomas answers.

A blur rushes by, taking my breath away. As the blur slows, I can make out Sasuke, his long black hair trailing behind him magnificently. He comes to a stop with his hands resting on the table.

"I thought you wanted to die." Ambien reasons, before taking a big bite of cereal.

I stare at her wide eyed for a moment, my mouth hanging open in stunned silence. Can she read minds too?

Miguel limps in with a bolt in his calf.

"Oh my gosh. Are you okay?" I panic, rushing over to him. He brushes me off, sits at the table, props his leg on it and pulls the damn thing out. Blood spurts for a moment and then stops.

I can't stop myself coming over and wiping the blood from where the wound was, in amazement.

"I thought she talked to the doc this morning." Kali says as she sits at the table with her tray.

"Apparently it was a short one." Miguel answers as I'm still looking for a wound.

"Gross dude. You got blood all over the place." Thomas complains, handing Miguel some napkins.

Miguel pulls his leg away from me and wipes it clean. I stare at my hands for a moment then look around for a sink. Miguel is already walking over to it.

"I'm starting to believe you." I say as I'm waiting for him to be finished at the sink.

"Yeah. Well, days just getting started." He chuckles, walking over to the breakfast table.

As I wash my hands, I notice I've soiled the bandages around my wrist. As I carefully remove them, my eyes bulge in shock. I graze my fingertips over the blemish less pale skin of my wrists, raising goose bumps.

I try and process what's happening while I'm eating my fruity cereal, but Miguel distracts me.

"Look." He unfolds a piece of paper and sets it on the table for the group to see.

"Nice drawing." Sasuke congratulates, taking a big bite of his bagel.

"Finally finished it, huh?" Kali comments, giving it a cursory glance.

"Hey. Look it's got a mole like the Doc. Nice touch." Thomas laughs.

Ambien picks the drawing up and studies it. "Yes. This is her." She smiles widely, seemingly mesmerized by the image.

"Ambien agrees with you. That should tell you something." Kali chortles.

"You all are so small minded." Miguel huffs, grabbing the picture.

Everyone seems to pick up the pace, stuffing their face suddenly. Miguel's done first, running his bowl over to the dish area. I follow, unable to finish my breakfast.

"Why won't they believe you, that she's a demon? She just shot at us with a cross bow" I ask while pacing him toward the door of the cafeteria. Where is he going?

A bolt sticks in my shoulder and I scream in pain. Miguel grabs me by the arm, pulling me the last few steps out of the room.

"Hurry up!" He demands, dragging me behind him.