I quickly slip my shoes on and grab my coat, pulling it on as we head outside and to Watery Lane.

"Scudboat!" Tommy calls as he sticks his head in a doorway, keeping an eye on the surroundings.

"Take Evie into my office then send someone to find Finn or John and keep her company, don't leave her in a building alone," Tommy firmly says.

"What's going on?" I ask, confused.

"I'll explain once I'm back, if you see anybody you don't recognise I want you to run to the stables and hide with Charlie and Curly, okay?" He asks, cupping my cheeks.

"They won't arrest me Tommy, I've done nothing wrong," I say, reaching up and pecking his lips before he goes.

"Right this way Ms Loveridge," Scudboat says.

"Evelyn or Evie is fine," I laugh.

"Do you want anything? I can make you a tea," he says as he beckons somebody over.

"No that's alright, thank you though."

***

"What're you doing?" Tommy asks as he comes into the office, a cigarette hanging between his lips.

"Painting my nails, what does it look like?" I giggle.

"And where's your company?" He asks. "I sent John away cause he wouldn't shut up about the marks you left on my neck," I huff, making him smirk.

"It's not funny! They'll take ages to disappear!" I grumble, throwing a crumpled piece of paper at him.
"Come here," he says, walking over and extending a hand to help me up.

"My nails aren't dry," I say, blowing on them. "You can always redo them," he says, pulling me up and sitting down before placing me on his lap.

"My favourite colour," he comments, inspecting my nails. "The only colour Scudboat could find," I giggle.

"You let him in your house alone and you've only known him what, five minutes?"

"He knows me as your girl so I don't think he'd even think of taking anything."

"Damn right you are my girl," he says, kissing my neck.

"So, I want an explanation now," I pick up my nail polish and go to the other side of the desk, sitting down and scooting it closer to the desk.

"I went to go talk to Officer Campbell," he quietly says.

"I haven't heard that name in a long time, what's he doing back?" I ask, shocked.

"Right I trust you not to tell anybody this," he says, getting up and locking the door and shutting the curtains. I nod and finish the last coat of polish before putting the lid on the bottle and giving him my full attention.

"I've been doing some dirty work for him, just either a few threats or the occasional beat up," he quietly says. I gawk at him, shocked.

"See what he can do to get Arthur and Michael out of prison," I suggest. "That's the problem, he did it to make sure I do his dirty work."