chapter 22: and i'm by your side

This is the final chapter, a sort of epilogue/flash forward/snapshot.

Thank you all for sticking with this! Apologies for taking so long to update. Let's just say I am NEVER moving house again.

:::::

A few months later, Ren's first birthday

"I-thought-you-said-you-and-Tin-were-moving-to-a-smaller-place," Good said when Can opened the bifold doors at the back of the house to reveal a garden that would rival King Rama IX Park.

Gucci brushed past Can's legs in his eagerness to get outside, he loved his new domain. "Oi! Technically the house is much smaller than the Medthanan house," Can defended, laughing. He shook his head. "It's still huge though, I know. I don't think Tin would really know how to do small."

Can had protested at the size of the new house at first but Tin had been very good at distracting Can with food or sex when he'd been trying to set out his reasons why he felt a much smaller place would be better. Anyway, if he was totally honest with himself, now they had moved in, he loved it because it was solely theirs. Tin had kept some staff as they had agreed, but they were not omnipresent and none of them lived in the main house, a compromise Can had been adamant about and Tin had easily agreed to.

They had moved in a couple of weeks ago. It was equally as modern as the previous house but had six bedrooms instead of numerous suites and they were all set off one large main landing at the top of a large staircase. The space downstairs was mostly open plan with a twelve-seat cinema and few smaller rooms set off the main hallway, including two offices, a 'snug' and a laundry room. The back of the house looked out over the vast landscaped garden. There was also a basement that held a well-equipped gym and a swimming pool.

Can explained that there were two other properties that came with the house that were set amidst the grounds. One was being converted into studio flats for the live-in staff and the other was a smaller two bed house that Tin had suggested Ma and Ley might want to move into but Can hadn't mentioned it to Ma yet.

"What-happened-to-'money-can't-buy-me'?"

"Hey!" Can exclaimed and with a grin said, "I'll make you pay for that." He pretended to strike his friend and Good took off out into the garden. He was quick on his feet for someone who always came across so laid back, but Can was right behind him. He finally caught up with him and laughing they both collapsed on the floor under the nearest tree.

Can looked down at the aged t-shirt and worn jeans he was wearing. Tin was always trying to buy him clothes and stuff but, overall, Can resisted. It felt decadent enough that Tin bankrolled where they lived. Tin had given Can a bank card and told him to use it for whatever he needed. Can had protested and Tin had just said that if it made him feel better, he could pay all his own money into the account every month. Tin said they were a living as a couple and as far as he was concerned, they shared all the money.

Can had joked that if that was the case he was going to go out and buy a Bugatti Chiron and Tin had just said that it might be wise to learn to drive first! That had kind of taken the wind out of Can's sails. Still, it felt weird spending money on things that were not necessities like new clothes when the old ones were fine.

"I love him," Can stared at his hands at his confession, raising his eyes to look at his best friend. "That's why the money doesn't matter anymore. It's part of him." Tin used his money to take care of Can and Ren and by extension, Can's family. It was just what he did, of how he showed his love.

Good nodded thoughtfully. "I-think-I'm-in-love," he said dreamily.

"What! Who with? I want to hear everything!"